• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Could my Snake be Dying???

i am laughing extremely oddly at how creepy this thread is getting. mods help. oh noes, theyre in here already.

i know im only 20, but i do frequent a few bars in my time. and have had the experience of this so called elusive cougar buy me a drink or 4. and i have always bought them some back. thats all i can say.

I can't believe I missed all the cougar talk! They're such beauties, but I wouldn't want to tick one off! The claws alone are enough to make me think twice. :laugh:

Old corn snake... dying?

Karmella is close to 20 years old by my calculations, give or take a year or two. She has not eaten for over 8 weeks now. She remains coiled under her warm rock most of the time, and when she's not, she's rubbing her mouth against the glass. She hasn't moved in about a week though. I've noticed a few small lumps on her, like very small marbles under her skin. She seems to be losing some muscle tone. All she seems to want is warmth. I don't live anywhere near a vet and don't even know of any that deal with snakes. Is she dying or just going through something?

Karmella is close to 20 years old by my calculations, give or take a year or two. She has not eaten for over 8 weeks now. She remains coiled under her warm rock most of the time, and when she's not, she's rubbing her mouth against the glass. She hasn't moved in about a week though. I've noticed a few small lumps on her, like very small marbles under her skin. She seems to be losing some muscle tone. All she seems to want is warmth. I don't live anywhere near a vet and don't even know of any that deal with snakes. Is she dying or just going through something?

First, congratulations ! Even though snakes live 20+ years, sadly most don't make it that long.
It can be the change in seasons causing her not to eat. Also it could be her age. Start with checking the temps and make sure that's not the issue. The tank ambient temps could be just to cold.
The lumps, face rubbing, loss of weight can be a sign of parasites. Check for mites, etc. and treat accordingly.
Good luck

Possible corn snake scale rot?

Does this look like scale rot? She (or he?!) is about 20 years old and has not eaten for about 8 weeks. She doesn't move much lately and has developed what appears to be scale rot? Looking for home remedies for this since I do not have access to snake medicine or a vet. k02.jpg

k03.jpg

k01.jpg

It does appear to be.

What is scale rot?
Scale rot is a bacterial infection often found in captive reptiles, especially snakes. It is caused by the conditions being too moist and also by improper husbandry practices involving failure to properly clean the animal’s enclosure. Basically they slither around in their own excrement and come down with an infection on their stomachs. Which shouldn’t surprise anyone.

Here's what to do
1.Get the temperature right
2.Get the humidity right
3.Get the tank cleaned up
4.Use triple anti-biotic ointment (WITHOUT painkiller)
5.A bath in a betadine solution (10% betadine)

That is copied and pasted.

triple anti-biotic ointment - is this something like polysporin? and I apply this directly to the affected areas?

the take currently has peat moss on the bottom... what else can I use to ensure proper cleaning, and do I chop it up, put large pieces, etc.?

10%betadine 90% water and bathe her in it for a time period or just a dunk?

Karmella, I think you'd be better off starting your own thread about this rather than tacking on to a four year old thread.

Polysporin is a double anti-biotic so close.

Get rid off the moss, switch to aspen ( for reptiles ) when you get this cleared up. in the mean time I would put her on a thick layer of paper towels.

I would soak her 10 or 15 minutes once a day depending on how she reacts.

If that's a heat rock, get rid of it and go to undertank heater and/or overhead heat light. A temperature gauge is a MUST !

Go to "South Mountain Reptiles" SMR for the proper tank set up or "search" here for the right way to keep your corn :)

Typing fast cause I got to go for a bit, sorry.......

Get it sent to your school. Find a way. It's not about you, it's about caring for your animals Anyway you can. It's your responsibility now. If that means becoming then rehome. Denying a snake Basic needs like heat is like denying it food. Don't care How old you are or How your parents would be angry. It's about caring for your pets. But I kinda think your just a troll

Back