CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Could my Snake be Dying???

Old 09-29-2009, 05:51 PM   #51
COerriccaRN
Quote:
You could use one of those with a dimmer cord that is used for lamps to dim the light. That way you could control how hot it got. You'd have to be able to measure the temperature of the substrate in the viv to get the temperature right, though.
The one for sore muscles already has a switch for low/medium/high... the only problem is that it shuts off after 5 hours. That it better than nothing though.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:52 PM   #52
diamondlil
Quote:
Originally Posted by COerriccaRN View Post
Oh, are those expensive?
I shouldn't think so, e-bay would maybe be a good place to look, or your local dept store with kitchen equipment
Mine were £15 (about $24) but I'm sure you could find cheaper ones that work well

Old 09-29-2009, 06:03 PM   #53
Daenerys
Quote:
The one for sore muscles already has a switch for low/medium/high... the only problem is that it shuts off after 5 hours. That it better than nothing though.
But all the ones I've found, the low is like 100 or something like that. Too high for corns.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:06 PM   #54
COerriccaRN
Quote:
But all the ones I've found, the low is like 100 or something like that. Too high for corns.
Hmmm, okay. Maybe a heat blanket will be better. I KNOW it doesn't get that high.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:11 PM   #55
diamondlil
Quote:
Hmmm, okay. Maybe a heat blanket will be better. I KNOW it doesn't get that high.
Have you measured how high a temperature they reach? Seriously, set up a tub on the blanket and monitor the heat for a few hours, otherwise you can't be sure it would be safe. I'd be worried about thermal blocking causing problems using the blanket.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:14 PM   #56
COerriccaRN
Quote:
Have you measured how high a temperature they reach? Seriously, set up a tub on the blanket and monitor the heat for a few hours, otherwise you can't be sure it would be safe. I'd be worried about thermal blocking causing problems using the blanket.
I have to find the thing first =D

Old 09-29-2009, 06:26 PM   #57
Daenerys
Does your blanked plug in to a wall?
Cause you could maybe use a dimmer cord for that as well, in case its too hot.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_7p9n55vrpn_b

Old 09-29-2009, 06:28 PM   #58
COerriccaRN
Quote:
Does your blanked plug in to a wall?
Cause you could maybe use a dimmer cord for that as well, in case its too hot.
Its electric...I can't even find it. I think my snakes will be fine without heat until winter. I will have a new blanket or something by then I am sure.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:36 PM   #59
Daenerys
Save up your money, though. They should really have a UTH if at all possible.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:38 PM   #60
COerriccaRN
Quote:
Save up your money, though. They should really have a UTH if at all possible
Ha, how can I save up money if I don't have a job? Believe me, if I had time to have a job I would. I want one, but could only work about an hour one just a few days. I was thinking about selling one of my snakes so I can buy things for my other snakes, but I haven't decided yet.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google