CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Could my Snake be Dying???

Old 09-29-2009, 10:40 PM   #81
COerriccaRN
Danielle, and the forum...I am keeping Erricca and Clance no matter what. Maybe I shouldn't have got them, but thats a choice I made. It may have been uneducated and I know better NOW, but I didn't then. Now they are with me and they are going to stay with me.

I could re-home Sunny if his condition gets worse, but as glenhead said...what he is doing is normal.

So I will just wait and see. In the meantime, I will TRY my best to get another heat source. I may just have to get a full screen lid and use lamps...may be cheeper...but I am keeping Erricca and Clancy.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:41 PM   #82
Carinata
Also Emily you can get a small spce heater for your room

Old 09-29-2009, 10:45 PM   #83
COerriccaRN
[quote]Also Emily you can get a small spce heater for your room[/QUOTE

Great idea! I *think* I have one in my attic. I have one in my deer stand, but that baby is staying there...I would LOVE to keep my toes this winter =D

I will have to make another attic trip...

Old 09-29-2009, 10:51 PM   #84
danielle
What he is doing could very well be normal, but you, me, and anyone else can not say that for sure snakes have different personalities just like people. I imagine you posted this because this behavior was out of the norm for him concerning you so you asked.....

The thing about asking is you get answers you may not like though they have merit and you know this. How are you feeding them by the way have your parents agreed to foot this bill? If so explaining to them why you need a UTH and thermostat shouldn't be a crazy request since digesting the food they buy requires heat and maybe it could be a christmas present. While tutoring is nice it isn't a paying gig why not charge for your time that would help you a little and allow you to be helpful back.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:52 PM   #85
salvadorian
My UTH was $10. It reaches a top temp of 83 degrees. Shuts off every five hours for thirty minutes.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:53 PM   #86
Carinata
Mine does the same thing! They rock for corns don't they!

Old 09-29-2009, 11:02 PM   #87
Sweetooth710
Quote:
Originally Posted by COerriccaRN View Post
My Amel, Sunny has started doing some...odd...things lately.

He used to stay in his hide 24/7. He only came out at night and would run back into his hide if I moved or anything.

Now, he sits in one spot out in the middle of his viv. In his viv, I have one hide and one water bowl. He sits against the glass wall right in the middle of the two ALL THE TIME. Literally, he never leaves. Sometimes I will think he is dead because he will be in the same position for days at a time, but he never is. Sometime she will have his head squished up to the glass and sometimes he will just be curled up. I have no clue why he does this and does not stay in the hide or anything. Also, he never moves when I walk by. I can jump and run around my whole room and he just sits there like nothing is bothering him. Its almost like he is sick, but he doesn't really show any other signs of being sick

I don't provide my snakes any heat/coolness at all so he isn't trying to get into the warmest spot.

My concern is that he is dying, or on that path. My other two snakes come out of their hides to lay in the tree's and such, but they move around. They don't stay in the same spot for days...

Could Sunny be sick and/or dying?????? This is VERY odd and disturbing behavior from a Corn Snake...

Not to scare you, but my hatchling started exhibiting the same behavior as yours, and a week later he died. Although, he also stopped eating, and died exactly 3 weeks after his last feed. He used to always hide and usually scurry away if he saw me unless he was hunting, then he didn't seem to care. Then he started to lay in the middle of his viv and not move hardly at all for days. I was worried about this, and mainly because he wasn't eating. You said your guy is eating fine, so thats a good sign.. I would get him checked out if, I were you, just to make sure hes ok.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:08 PM   #88
airenlow
Quote:
Originally Posted by COerriccaRN View Post
My snakes are fine. Our house temps are fine for them. Many people supply their snake with no heat. In the winter, I plan to talk to my parents about some extra money, but until then I cannot provide anything extra for them. I can feed them just fine and take good care of them. Our house temps and the pure texas heat is fine FOR NOW.
Why did you start this thread? You were worried that there might be a problem. We suggested possible solutions for the problem. Then you proceeded to tell us there is no problem. I'm lost...

Old 09-29-2009, 11:29 PM   #89
salvadorian
Yeah... you were worried that the snake was dying and pointed out that you do not provide heat, stating that it may have something to do with it. Cold blooded animals need a relatively normal body temperature, just like warm blooded ones. Without a reliable heat source for all of your snakes, you will likely have an unhealthy snake that will die young. Not that it won't live for a while... but as many have said, just because it can survive doesn't mean that it should in such conditions. I suggest placing a space heater in the room with them and working - VERY hard - to get a UTH.
Try Goodwill or Salvation army, where they regularly have heating pads (with the high / low setting) for cheap.
Your snake is displaying what I have seen many times in ill reptiles. Unlike mammals, who quickly become noticably ill, reptiles sort of wither away slowly. By the time they seem sick to you, it is often too late. My experience with my small MBD rehabilitation project has taught me that.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:49 PM   #90
pwargcm
please dont rehome him if you dont know hes fine. if he keeps this up it is not a good idea to just rehome him to get rid of the problem and get the money to get heat for the others. i look down upon that more than anything. its like having a collection of boas with ibd and knowing this but selling them off anyways. we have a member here that has this possibility and is noble and is holding off her collection and not buying more until later down the road when its all dismissed. noble as a knight there. so please do not rehome until you correct the problem. then rehome.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google