CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

6 gram non feeder (Alyce)

Old 09-30-2010, 10:50 PM   #1
kjhawk
6 gram non feeder (Alyce)

We are now boarding a 6 gram non feeder. This little girl who is gorgeous by the way. She belongs to my son's girlfriend. She was a pick up at the Minnesota Herp show on Sunday Aug 15th. She was told at that time that she had eaten the Tues before that. So now over a month and a half later, she has not eaten for her at all. We tried just the head of a pinky tonight. She is still pretty active, and very much the hater when you go to get her out of her viv. We will not give up on her, and actually for not eating for that long still appears to be doing "ok". I do not know what her weight was when she got her as her owner didn't have a kitchen scale but I can't imagine much more than 9-10 grams total. We are very disappointed that when buying at herp show that she would end up with a non feeder after asking when she ate last and does she eat well which the answer was yes. She probably would have had better luck with a pet store pick up.
If there are any suggestions would there happy to hear them.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:02 PM   #2
GSDlover
I had a problem of a snake not eating as well.
From advice from other people, and things I've read I got a basic idea.

It's own container for eating and give it privacy (NO peeking for at least 30 minutes) Mine also likes to eat with a towel over the container.
I've read braining (opening the head) or cutting slits will also help, as well as scenting the mouse (with tuna juice I believe).

But to be honest, what got my guy eating right away was a live mouse though I dislike feeding him this way and I'm going to try switching him to F/T next feeding. You could also try fresh killed mice, or warming up a pinkie (in warm water not the microwave) Hope I helped.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:32 AM   #3
jekyll
hi,
i got only one of my snakes form such an event and he was also a non feeder in the beginning. i think that to be exposed etc. is quite a lot of stress for even the little ones.
you wrote that she is still active. thats fine.
take the littlest mice you find an put it into chicken boiling. take the bones of chicken with so much water that they are covered. than cook it for about half an our.
where do you feed her or tried to feed her in past?

how is the temperature?

Old 10-01-2010, 04:40 AM   #4
ShenziSixaxis
Have you also tried live? After almost two months, getting something into such a young snake is more important than if it eats thawed or not.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
kjhawk
Well got figure. She came to live with us last night. After having a non feeder before, he was much bigger at the time than she is, we had read numerous posts and tried just about anything. The funniest thing I had heard was to take him for a car ride (which we didn't end up needing to do). Anyways, back to Alyce. She came over last night, she was transported in a small container with a hide, this way not to associate tank with huge changes. Once here she was being pretty comfortable with being out, as comfortable as a 6 gr. little snake could be. Apparently she is a little hater when it comes to getting picked up out of her tank. So remembering the car ride ideas, and seeing just how little she is, we decided to cut the head off of one of our smallest mice, warm it up in water, and attempt to feed her. She had no interest while in the container. So we put her in the container with a paper towel and head back into her tank, closed the lid, and put a towel over to block out some light. I forgot to check on her before bed, and then again this morning. Ask my teenage son, who by the way has been helping with her care since his girlfriend got her, to check on her at lunch time. He checked and didn't see anything. Being absolutely surprised I was sure that he just didn't see it under the paper towel, so we checked again ourselves when getting home from work. Removed the tub and towel and what do you know. SHE ATE! We are so surprised. I know we really don't want her to be eating in her tank even though she was in a container, we didn't put the lid on so she was able to get out when she wanted. But for right now eating is the most important thing and we can deal with eating in the tank at a later date when we are sure she is going to be more a of consistent eater.

Just very surprised that she ate. Really do wonder if it was the car ride, or the peace and quite of eating in her tank on her own terms?

Old 10-02-2010, 01:49 AM   #6
jekyll
congrats! it is a great feeling when a non feeder eats!

the trick with the hiding possibility worked with almost every non feeder i heard about in the last months....

Old 10-02-2010, 02:50 PM   #7
carnivorouszoo
Actually with the pink being inside a seperate container inside the viv, its ok. The pink is not on the substrate in the viv. I have heard of many people feeding the way you got her to. It just might be the way she likes to eat

Old 11-21-2010, 09:36 AM   #8
Feuerhak
After 2 months of trying, this little girl passed away last night. We have used you guys all as a resource since Alyce came to us and thank you deeply for it, and we even tried a few things we came up with on our own. But unfortunately, it wasn't meant to be.

RIP Alyce, wish we could have done better for you. You were a beautiful little girl!

Old 11-21-2010, 09:55 AM   #9
jekyll
oh i am very sorry! i know it hurts....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google