CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Hatchling not gaining weight, now regurge.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
Tinkerbeller87
Exclamation Hatchling not gaining weight, now regurge.

Sorry this is a long post but I want to give the most info I can for the best possible feedback. I will be following the regurge protocol but am curious if you guys think she might not make it and there is something wrong with her. Please, help!!! She is only my second snake and this is making me really nervous!

History: I got my new hatchling with her 20 gallon enclosure off of craigslist in the 1st or 2nd week of August. The guy I got her from said he had her a month and fed her 2 pinkies, then a week later 1 rat pinkie, idk why? And when he went a week later to feed her again she still had a lump so waited another week and thats when I got her. She was 8 grams at that time. Seemed healthy, active and was eating normally. The only problem I was having was she wasn't gaining any weight. Even after I moved her up a size in pinkies. Actually even lost a little bit, I could even start to see her spine. So I moved her to the next size, still nothing. Now yesterday was feeding day again, I always spot clean my enclosures first then feed. I also do feed in an empty butter dish with holes in it, covered up, waiting about 15-30 min. and she has always been finished eating.

Well I found what I thought was a regurge because it was too large to be a poop. Sure enough I picked it up and it was half-digested, if that's possible, because I could only make out the 2 back legs of the pinkie.

So here is my list of feedings and weights, no sheds with me yet.
August 2010
10th: Ate 1 pinkie (0g) Snake wt: 8g
16th: Ate 1 pinkie (0g) Snake wt: 8g
21st: Ate 1 pinkie (0g) Snake wt: 9g
26th: Ate 1 pinkie (1g) Snake wt: 9g
September 2010
1st: Ate 1 pinkie (1g) forgot to weigh this day
7th: Ate 1 pinkie (1g) Snake wt: 7g
12th: Ate 1 pinkie (2g) Snake wt: 7g
17th: Ate 1 pinkie (2g) Snake wt: 7g
22nd: Ate 1 pinkie (2g) Snake wt: 7g
27th: Ate 1 pinkie (2g) Snake wt: 8g
October 2010
3rd: Ate 1 pinkie (2g) Snake wt: 8g
8th: Ate 1 pinkie (2g) Snake wt:8g
14th: Regurge 1/2 digested with 4 BM's in cage.

Setup: 20 gallon, UTH on 1/2 of left side of tank (stuck on the underside), lots of hides and foliage, 1 thermometer with the probe under the bedding on the cool side (70-75) usually depending on day or night, and 1 therm w/probe under bedding on the warm (84-86) controlled with a herpstat with probe right next to the therm probe, water bowl, aspen bedding, a regular light on a dimmer and timer to give some day/night cycles since her enclosure is in the closet (no other room in my room for another tank).

I only have held her about 1-2 times per week just because I know how sensitive hatchlings are and I didn't want to stress her. I didn't even start holding her until after her 3rd meal. I really don't know what to do if she doesn't start to improve. Any advise on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
Nanci
Is she going blue? That is the most common cause I have found for snakes to regurge.

I would order Nutribac from Kathy Love. http://www.cornutopia.com

Then not feed her for 8 days from the regurge. Then feed a pink head rolled in Nutribac. Then feed every five days, half a pink, lengthwise, the other half, the remaining 2/3, in two pieces from the headless pink, and then a whole pink cut into three pieces. Then a whole pink cut in half crosswise. I would keep her on mice cut in half or thirds until she is on hoppers, then continue with slitting the back and all three sides of whatever she eats for 6-12 months. I would continue to powder all meals with Nutribac for the same length of time. I would never feed this snake when she is blue ever again.

Chances are she will come out of this just fine, but I consider the added probiotics from Nutribac to be essential to her recovery.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
Tinkerbeller87
Thanks for the input. I will do that. I don't think she was in blue in the last feeding? She is an anery motley so I hope I could tell when she was in blue. I do always put 3 slits in the back of whatever I feed. One at the neck, at the tail, then in the middle. I will definitly get some nutribac, my manager at work might be able to get it for me right away. If not I will get some from Kathy. Thanks.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
WingedSweetheart
I don't know what caused her to regurge. But I do have some experience with a snake not gaining weight. It was a pet shop snake who I bought because she looked dull and skinny. They feed all their snakes on Monday there, the same day I feed my snakes. I tried once a week with her but she wouldn't budge past 6 grams. So I moved her to a pinkie every 4 days. I weighed her every week. At first she didn't gain but a gram or two. I waited until she was 18 grams before I moved her back to every seven days.

So maybe your snake needs meals a little more often. After you get her regurge all sorted out and feeding like normal you could try feeding every 4 days and see if she gains.

Anyway if your snake keeps regurging I would take her to a vet. She could have parasites or some other health problem. Though I hope not.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
LeoEyes
It also wouldnt hurt to have a fecal done by a herp vet to see if she has any parasites or the like just to be safe. Animals that wont gain weight with often have parasites.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:10 PM   #6
Nanci
I doubt a hatchling is going to have parasites. You might feel better if you bought a scale that weighs in tenths of grams- that way you can see a very gradual increase in weight. A rough estimate is that a snake will gain an amout of weight equal to 1/3 of the weight of the prey it consumes, so a 1g pink isn't going to cause a noticeable weight gain in a snake when you are weighing by whole grams.

The four day feeding plan isn't a bad idea, but I would be cautious now that you have had a regurge. Maybe after a month of no more problems, you could start throwing in a four day interval here and there. Maybe every third time or something like that. Be _really_ careful to watch her to see if she is blue, though.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:11 PM   #7
Tinkerbeller87
ok, that sounds like a plan. Thanks for the extra comments. Anything at this point is helpful.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:14 PM   #8
Tinkerbeller87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
The four day feeding plan isn't a bad idea, but I would be cautious now that you have had a regurge. Maybe after a month of no more problems, you could start throwing in a four day interval here and there. Maybe every third time or something like that. Be _really_ careful to watch her to see if she is blue, though.
Yea, I will stick with the regurge protocol for now and then maybe throw in a 4 day feeding here and there. Hopefully this was her first, and will be her last regurge. Here is to hoping!

Old 10-15-2010, 06:43 PM   #9
Tinkerbeller87
I just took a peak into her enclosure to look at temps and she is curled up right in front, under her climbing log. In full view. She is still breathing, thank goodness. But this is odd...I usually have to seach for her. Now I'm really worried...

Old 10-15-2010, 07:08 PM   #10
Nanci
She's probably out because she's hungry!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google