• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

3 dead snakes from same breeder - Coincidence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnNJ

No names - just curious.

I have been keeping snakes for many years but I am new to corns. I recently purchased five young corns from two different breeders at the reptile show in White Plains. I purchased two more corns at the Hamburg show from a third breeder. All of those snakes are doing great - none have regurged...ever.

I purchased three corns from a breeder that shipped them to me. It was the first and only time I ever purchased snakes I had not seen in person. All three are now dead. They regurged from the start and I really tried to follow the protocol but they never recovered. The first died in the second week here and I just found the other two gone.

I was told by this mail order breeder that it must have been my fault. How could this be? I have had many snakes in my life and still have a dozen. I have never had a snake die before but now I had three and all from the same place.

I'm really upset by this. Any thoughts? :shrugs:

i honestly have no idea what a breeder could do that would cause that, unless he was selling snakes that were prone to already regurging from the getgo. since it was all 3 snakes that died, perhaps something happened during shipping?

hope everything works out, though, sorry to hear about the babies :(

I've had almost entire clutches end up just being unthrifty, many being problem feeders from the start and others that would regurge at the drop of a hat. I don't pair those parents together any more and will probably never use one male again (same female did produce a good clutch of healthy hatchlings with another male, but had a bad clutch when paired a second time with one particular male).

I've had enough snakes, both purchased from a variety of breeders as well as ones produced by me, that either never do well from the start or do well for awhile and then suddenly end up dead. I've done multiple necropsies, getting a cause of death on a few, but most died from unknown causes. I just put it all down to the luck of the draw/fate/nature's way/God/poop that just happens, accept it and move on.

As a breeder, I have sold hatchlings that didn't do well for their new owners. I don't put the blame on anyone (unless I know the new owner messed up, but that has happened only once) and if there was even a small chance the cause was poor breeding, unthrifty hatchling, that sort of thing, I do my best to make things right. The breeder you purchased those hatchlings from should at least give some compensation if all 3 hatchlings didn't do well from the time you received them. When did you purchase them/how long had you been working with them? Were you in contact with the breeder as soon as you noticed a problem, keeping the breeder up to date on their progress (or lack of)?

Thanks for your feedback Susan.

I was interested in what people thought. I did everything I could do with the snakes and tried my best to work with the breeder. I'm not here to bash anyone.

I would be having a heart attack if I sent three babies to someone and they died. Unless the person is a complete idiot, I don't see how the buyer could be responsible.

Were they all acting normally when they arrived?
I'm asking because I have only ever lost one snake due to a shipping temp extreme, and it exhibited signs of some sort of neurological damage (crawling funny, biting itself)
I agree with this from Susan:

The breeder you purchased those hatchlings from should at least give some compensation if all 3 hatchlings didn't do well from the time you received them.

However, I hope you contacted the breeder first before making this thread.
Edit: Never mind that last part, I see you did per post #5

I just got a PM from someone asking who the breeder is. Seems he purchased seven snakes from this same breeder and four of them are now dead.

Again, coincidence?

Heck, when I lived in Maryland and bought baby snakes from anyone in Florida, invariably they would go through a period of regurgitation soon after their arrival. I found that I had to give them a dose of Flagyl, and feed them only decapitated pinky heads for about three weeks to get them to pull through safely. Any larger meals and they would keep on regurging till they quickly died.

Bear in mind that every part of the country is going to have microorganisms in the water supply that will be different from other areas. Many animals (humans too) can get their digestive system disrupted by the introduction of foreign organisms in the water they drink from a different area than they are used to.

Heck, when I lived in Maryland and bought baby snakes from anyone in Florida, invariably they would go through a period of regurgitation soon after their arrival. I found that I had to give them a dose of Flagyl, and feed them only decapitated pinky heads for about three weeks to get them to pull through safely. Any larger meals and they would keep on regurging till they quickly died.

Bear in mind that every part of the country is going to have microorganisms in the water supply that will be different from other areas. Many animals (humans too) can get their digestive system disrupted by the introduction of foreign organisms in the water they drink from a different area than they are used to.

Never thought of that before..... maybe thats why it always seems the best animals in my collection are the ones I produced myself.

Time for the BOI.

Not for me. The other guy had a lot more invested in his seven so he can go that route. I will not say who it is and I will not pursue it further. It's just not worth it for me.

I was just curious because none of the other corns or any of my other snakes has ever had a health problem.

Lesson learned. Going forward I will only purchase my snakes from shows.

I would be having a heart attack if I sent three babies to someone and they died. Unless the person is a complete idiot, I don't see how the buyer could be responsible.

I'm the victims, pay almost $700 for snakes. 4died, 1 died day after arrived and other 3 same problem week later one by one died::-(. .now 3 left...

also weather so cold in Maryland but shipped without heat to California both shipped same no HEAT

My .02 on this if you aren't going to BOI or put resolution by seller why post, at all. I'm not saying it is anyones fault or not, but now every breeder in Mayland looks accused of being bad seller.
I think you need to do the BOI, say it is resolved or name the seller so they can give their side.

As a breeder I would have compensated for the loss. I can't imagine having three babies die! I've never lost an animal after shipping nor have I ever had a corn die at any time soon after a person received it. As far as I know, all babies I've sold are still going strong in people's homes. I've only had one amazon die a year and a half after someone bought it. I'd be giving the buyer the money back.

My .02 on this if you aren't going to BOI or put resolution by seller why post, at all. I'm not saying it is anyones fault or not, but now every breeder in Mayland looks accused of being bad seller.
I think you need to do the BOI, say it is resolved or name the seller so they can give their side.

thanks but I need to make sure same breeder before post out his name.

sorry I didn't mean that, made all breeder in Maryland look bad I apologize for my careless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back