CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Want an edit button and other perks? Become a contributing member! Click here.

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DYK...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DYK... From corn snakes to carnosaurs, string beans to string theory, whining to fine wines, fig newtons to Isaac Newton, trout streams to stream of consciousness, if you've ever felt like a wallflower, this is the metaphorical meadow for you to feel free to come and bloom, or just chant or rant like a blooming idiot.

Did You Know 5: Son Of Pickled Bologna!
Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 05:20 AM   #25581
diamondlil
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbiesCornField View Post
DYK 32 of my 72 hours this week will be?
Phew! I was gearing up to write your employer a letter of complaint!

Old 04-07-2012, 05:25 AM   #25582
RobbiesCornField
DYK it's been three years since I hatched my first corn clutch? That was a beautiful clutch... I wonder what happened to all of the babies... I know Bekers had a pair of snows. Zulu3 had a pair (a normal and a snow, if I remember correctly), but she disappeared . Then someone on another forum had a snow and an amel. I can't for the life of me remember who bought the normal, anery, and other amel. They might be first time parents this year... I just want to see the beautiful babies they produce.

EDIT: TIM! Tim had those last three, if I remember correctly. Which means they went to that horrid person who ran the one reptile "shop" here (DP, you know the one I'm talking about... T&C).

Old 04-07-2012, 05:26 AM   #25583
RobbiesCornField
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlil View Post
Phew! I was gearing up to write your employer a letter of complaint!
DYK girl, please! You REALLY think I'd let them work me like a mule without at least getting *SOME* sort of compensation for it? It'll pretty much be like getting two checks the week after.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:31 AM   #25584
diamondlil
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbiesCornField View Post
DYK girl, please! You REALLY think I'd let them work me like a mule without at least getting *SOME* sort of compensation for it? It'll pretty much be like getting two checks the week after.
DYK, excellent! I was going to work shifts next week during my time off, but getting sick means no flexi for 3 weeks. (Rules to stop people cherry-picking shifts) That damn kidney infection has cost me @$600 that I could have spent on fun stuff!

Old 04-07-2012, 05:33 AM   #25585
RobbiesCornField
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlil View Post
DYK, excellent! I was going to work shifts next week during my time off, but getting sick means no flexi for 3 weeks. (Rules to stop people cherry-picking shifts) That damn kidney infection has cost me @$600 that I could have spent on fun stuff!
DYK that sucks? I'm sorry to hear that...

Old 04-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #25586
Nanci
DYK I'd rather have $600 than a kidney infection...

DYK why does it cost $500-$1000 to clean a dog's teeth? Who can afford that??

Old 04-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #25587
Shiari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post

DYK why does it cost $500-$1000 to clean a dog's teeth? Who can afford that??
DYK, two main reasons it can be expensive.

One, the animal must be put under full anesthesia to do the cleaning, which means pre-anesthetic bloodwork, an IV catheter with fluids to induce, maintain hydration, and provide venous access in case of emergencies, monitoring equipment, a dedicated tech monitoring/maintaining the proper anesthetic level while another one cleans the teeth, and a dedicated tech monitoring during recovery and post-op to make sure everything is going okay.

Two, most people have dental insurance. My cleaning + 3 fillings was $300 because I don't have dental insurance. That's without having to put me under.

The dentals at my work run from $395 and up, depending on extractions if any are necessary. And extracting teeth adds a great deal of expense. We're running a long term 'special' on the dentals. We also tend to combine them with other procedures to make it cheaper over all.

Spaying your old dog? Do a dental at the same time at the price of the special, tack on *just* the surgery price, none of the extras (that are already covered in the special) and you end up with about the same price as the spay, and doing much more!

DYK, also, most of the dentals we do are on ooooold dogs with teeth rotting out of their heads so the owners care less about the cost, and more about the dog no longer breathing death on them.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #25588
Nanci
DYK why do they have to be put under anesthesia for cleaning? How did dogs survive before this?

Old 04-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #25589
Shiari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
DYK why do they have to be put under anesthesia for cleaning? How did dogs survive before this?
DYK, modern breeding, inbreeding, and the modern diet all lead to heavy tartar buildup. Lulu has impacted teeth, and her incisors are all out of alignment. I'm sure you've had to encounter humans with teeth issues where the teeth look like they're rotting. Same issue for the doggies.

And a wild dog with a tooth infection is a dead dog.

DYK, as to why anesthesia, have you ever tried to brush a dog's teeth? Most are moving their heads around the whole time. That doesn't work if you need to use the sonic scaler, and especially not if you're trying to hand scale under the gumline. And getting a dog to sit there for an hour with their mouth open the whole time? No. And what about aggressive animals?

Old 04-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #25590
Nanci
DYK what is the best way to prevent/reduce tartar build-up, assuming one is already feeding dry? I know raw is supposed to promote healthy teeth, but I can't afford pre-packaged.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Closed Thread

Tags
the tags miss us