CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Snakes pupils shrink when stressed or aggressive?

Old 05-26-2011, 08:36 PM   #1
danielsanbsm
Snakes pupils shrink when stressed or aggressive?

I was wandering if when a corn snakes gets a aggresive or stressed does its pupils shrink cause i noticed when mine calmed down his pupils got dilated again.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:36 PM   #2
Cassie16
I feel like I've noticed this, too, but it really doesn't make sense. The sympathetic nervous system causes your eyes to dilate, and when frightening, the sympathetic nervous system dominates. of course, that's in humans, so perhaps it's different for snakes. I definitely think I've seen my snakes pupils constrict when startled, of course, maybe it just so happens that light is flooding into their eyes just when we think they're scared?

Old 06-01-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
BigByrd47119
I'm far from a biologist so take this for what its worth.

I have never personally noticed this with any of my corns.

Considering the human reaction to fright (mentioned above) I think we need to take into account WHY this happens. The thought being that more light will sharpen our vision for the few seconds (or second) around which the event takes place. However, I see humans as being more of a "fight" and less of a "flight" species.

In corns, I see them as much more the "flight" type. Add this to the fact that they don't have any real way to protect their eyes from physical harm, I wonder if its a subconscious attempt, on the part of the eye, to preserve itself. Perhaps peripheral damage to the eye (areas surrounding the pupil) would deliver less long-term damage than damage directly to the pupil? If this is the case it makes sense that a smaller pupil would equal less opportunity to suffer permanent/long-term damage.

All speculation...

Old 06-01-2011, 10:30 PM   #4
Cassie16
That would make sense. I hadn't considered the lack of eyelids.You know, I honestly have no idea. I'm trying to rack my brain and draw out all of the information I know about the autonomic nervous system, but it's no use. I think I was an expert on it for about two days, took an exam, and now I remember very little.

And to be honest, I don't even know if snakes utilize the same stress hormones as us.

I do think I've noticed it a few times, but I have a feeling it was light coming in. My snake got scared, moved, and happened to have light enter his eye when moving. I guess I could go scare him and see what happens, but that would be a little mean. lol.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:09 AM   #5
BigByrd47119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie16 View Post
I guess I could go scare him and see what happens, but that would be a little mean. lol.
Anything so long as its in the name of science!

**Note: This user does not condone the intentional or unintentional frightening of corns, kings, pythons, boas, or any other species of snake. Mammals are a much different story !**

It would be interesting to know for a fact what is causing it. Perhaps someone with more experience would like to weigh in on this matter? A definitive answer would be nice...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google