CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

I am so sick to my stomach I could vomit.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
Christen
I am so sick to my stomach I could vomit.

I get a lot of crap from family and friends for being "over protective" of my snakes. So the only good thing that comes out of the chain of events last night is that no one will give me crap anymore.

So anyway I was feeding a few of the snakes last night and I have a male and a female yearlings in a divided 55. Of course you see where this is going. He was the first to finish eating and I was still in the middle of cleaning out cages. So I handed him to my daughter and asked her to put him away. Well she accidently put him in the wrong side. When I went into the office after I was done I found them locked up.

I am so worried sick about her right now. She is 98 grams. I am just hoping that one or both of them is not fertile yet. My husband feels really bad right now cause joking he came in and said "Man, you are a bad snake owner" and when I turned around to look at him and tears were streaming down my face. Needless to say, no more divided tanks in my house and nobody touches my snakes,period.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
Nanci
OMG I thought this was going to be really bad!!! _Maybe_ he's too young. _Maybe_ she's too young. Maybe it just won't take. I had an 80 gram yearling female (that came to me gravid, and I didn't know) lay last year and she was just fine. I'd just feed her up (without making her fat- her normal five day meal) and keep her well-exercised and hope for the best. I'm nearly positive she'll be just fine. My yearling only laid five (big!!) eggs.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
Nanci
Do they at least make a good pairing? :-)

Old 06-22-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
jessicalb
Me, too Nanci!

I'm thinking good thoughts for your girl, Christen! Please keep us updated!

How is your daughter? Is she feeling really awful about it? Poor thing.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #5
starsevol
Oh, I am so sorry. You are NOT a bad owner at all!! You might have to take crap from your family, because you are pretty much stuck with them. As far as friends go, if your friends give you crap about worrying about what you love, what kind of friends are they?
Your girl might just be ok. You have time to find a good vet just in case you need one. Just take a breath...and prepare to do what is needed if it comes to that...but just breathe and it will all be ok....

Old 06-22-2011, 01:32 PM   #6
Christen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Do they at least make a good pairing? :-)
Yeah I haven't been able to stand back and look at it objectively like I would be able to if it was not my snakes. I was up all night rearranging snakes. But I did have plans to breed them to each other if I didn't come across a hypo male to breed to there mom to test her. She is supposely a hypo snow. So I may not need to find a male for her. And if she is not hypo then I am going to end up with more or what I am already going to get this year. Normals, snows, amel and aneries. I bred mom and dad again this year because ahhh it is a long story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicalb View Post
Me, too Nanci!

I'm thinking good thoughts for your girl, Christen! Please keep us updated!

How is your daughter? Is she feeling really awful about it? Poor thing.
I didn't even tell her. She was in bed when I found them and I just didn't have the heart to tell her this morning. Not that I am sure she would truely understand the concern with her. She is only 7. I am surprised that she didn't wake up last night with all of my screaming and cursing.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:35 PM   #7
K. Rene
I know what you mean about being over protective with pets. I can't even fathom how I'll be with my children when I have them. I'm usually the only one to get out the critters, so when my Boyfriend's best friend was over and he reached in to get Zuko (our biggest male) I about had a heart attack. Zuko is a really nice boy but he is used to my hand not someone elses, nothing happened of course but you never know. I won't let anyone hold them unsupervised (even my boyfriend, because he let a yearling wiggle away from him and get lost in the apt. a while back). I was bit by a dog when I was little who had no record of aggressive behavior, I still have the scar on my lip. So I know animals are somewhat unpredictable. I was taught how to hold pets and interact with them so when other people are holding my pets I'm always finicky about how they are doing it.

I think your female will be fine. Try not to be too upset because that might only make your kid feel worse. If she produces eggs I doubt there will be vary many, just keep her eating and monitor her closely.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:36 PM   #8
Christen
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsevol View Post
Oh, I am so sorry. You are NOT a bad owner at all!! You might have to take crap from your family, because you are pretty much stuck with them. As far as friends go, if your friends give you crap about worrying about what you love, what kind of friends are they?
Your girl might just be ok. You have time to find a good vet just in case you need one. Just take a breath...and prepare to do what is needed if it comes to that...but just breathe and it will all be ok....
Thank you! The people that give me crap do it because I don't let many touch my snakes and definitely not under my supervision. It really started last year when my husband and kids accidently killed my only motley in the clutch. That yeah that still won't be happening. lol

Old 06-22-2011, 01:38 PM   #9
Christen
Ok I am off to the store. I have decided that I am going to do a boy rack and a girl rack in two different rooms. Good news I might have more room for more snakes. My husband is going to kill me. lol

Old 06-22-2011, 01:49 PM   #10
jessicalb
Staples has sales on big plastic tubs right now, and all sorts of snakeish items. I get a 10% discount there so if you find anything you want and it's worth the discount we could get together and go shopping.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google