CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Want an edit button and other perks? Become a contributing member! Click here.

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > UniqueSnakes FC
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

UniqueSnakes FC Finally our own special place for you guys to see what we own and will produce in the upcoming years. We especialize in high end morphs so come check us out.

how to get in better shape and lose weight? (any opinions)

Old 10-20-2011, 12:30 PM   #21
Post Injuries sure put a Damper on things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueSnakes View Post
Injuries are among the top main reasons why people stop exercising. I just pulled my hamstring and suffer from knee pain! It is frustrated and even though I could still exercise, I can't do it at 100%.
Isn't that the truth. I Always liked working out. After about 2 years of living on a Farm and being 14, the Farm work just didn't cut it. I began running our 1/4 mile long driveway, push ups/crunches/leg lifts before bed. My Dream was to be a Navy SEAL. I followed their preparation Plan. THEN I got my computer.

We finally moved into town (mom left a crapping farm guy kid slaver, I basically run the farm) I was now able to utilize the school's gym after school. Graduated and Decided to do Military to Serve my country (like my father [Vietnam] and older borther [just retired from National Guard]) Wanted to go into a military branch for science or computers. Well I was a pretty fit kid, who went to the gym after school religiously ever mon., weds., and fri. The Job Counselor talked me into Airborne Ranger. (I thought i was in shape but knew i wasn't in that good of shape since i'd been on the computer took much) I ended up taking it and watched it get stripped from me in Airborne School. Got injured, they cut me orders and sent me to the needs of the Army for the Surge for War on Terrorism. Went to Iraq, kept the gym my Sanctuary Last 4 months of my 15 month tour I spent 6 days a week in the Gym. Dislocated my shoulder Around Dec - Jan 2007-2008. Got back to Germany oct. '08. Got my Hernia Surgery (randomly developed) in Jan. Then got my shoulder operated on in July (from the tear when i dislocated it doing pull ups in Iraq). Did 4 Years got out. Got a jobs and suddenly it seemed like i had no either no Family time because i was Exercising or Working, or I didn't have time time Exercise because i was Spending time with family and Working. So I quit that job due to whacked hours and decided if I wasn't going to have time, i my as well make better money. I started working in the Oilfield (I got my Workout there at work ) and got paid GOOD money. Then i blew my shoulder out and they won't pay wokrers comp. and I don't do anything for exercise. But Soon enough there will be a Point where i will be fed up with how i look and I'll do something about it.

-Chris

Old 10-20-2011, 01:03 PM   #22
Now to Answer the "?" <font color="blue"> how do each of you guys manage to start and keep up an exercise program that involves some or all of the criteria mentioned above without giving up and what is the hardest part to get rid of </font>

The Hardest Part is making it to where your Family doesn't suffer from what I call "Your Fix". Sacrifices are a must, however they should not be on your Family. For me it was easy, sleep. I could go on 4-6 hrs of sleep and be fine. So I'd set the alarm and while everyone was sleeping, I was working out.

How far and how much? Well, no one can truly answer that question but you. How do you answer those questions? By Answer other questions. What are my goals and and how fast do I want to OBTAIN them.

To me people do it for the WRONG reasons. They goto the gym to make others like what they see about them. Ya, fine and dandy having people goo goo over you, but usually the image that someone takes someone else sees them as is far too exaggerated. You must do it to make YOU happy, not others. People will recognize, some may not think but they will.

As for eating, I've got a high metabolism (doesn't seem it now) so things were easy for me. Especially when I was in High school. The thing you have to remember is that back in the Caveman days, we had to hunt and chase our food. We burned so many Calories in a given day. So with that said, for me I didn't care what I ate. I was on a I see it, I eat it diet. Which meant if I see what I like, then I eat it. If I ate something that seemed "fatty" I'd just put in some extra work while watching tv, playing with the kids. It all worked out. But if you're one of those people that have trouble with that, Choose that Chicken Salad with Light Ranch now and then.

The part that will get you is breaking Routine. I don't care how Crappy it is outside, I don't care how crappy you feel (unless you've got a fever/puking), DO NOT BREAK ROUTINE. I can't stress this enough. I can recall everytime I skipped a workout session or ditched it to do something else, when it was time to go do a workout next, I felt like crap! Muslces Ached, lack of energy. But those day I went when i felt like crap or Went when it was rainy/cold out. The following workout was always good and rewarding, KNOWING i didn't give in. After you do it, you see yourself cutting shortcuts, it's just too easy to do if you allow yourself. I mean, you're at McDonalds because you're super hungry. Don't break down and get the Triple Stacker or the Whopper. Do the right thing and get the Chicken Sandwich or the Chicken Salad. And Once a week, just let go. There's nothing wrong with it ( i mean with food not your workouts.)

Hope this helps some.

-Chris

Old 10-20-2011, 10:39 PM   #23
VickyChaiTea
There are a lot of really interesting posts here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwheather View Post
Nutrition is 80% of it. It's more about quality of food, than quantity. I lost 15lbs in 30 days, eating Paleo style. Lean meats, veggies, healthy fats, some fruit & nuts. No gluten/wheat, no sugars, no dairy. My chronic sinus headaches went away, I had more energy, (was able to work graveyard shift without any caffeine), & lost weight.
I was doing Crossfit, for about 4years, but I was too into it, & injured myself. I strained a rotator cuff in my shoulder. It took a long time to heal. CrossFit is same basic concept as P90X, & Insanity workout. High intensity, shorter duration workouts. The varied workout plans prevent you from getting bored, & prevent your body from a plateau. If you make sure it's balanced (CrossFit is not always balanced-lots of chest muscle strengthening, not so much on the back mucsle strengthening). It is very effective & I wa very happy with the shape I was in.
I'm considering going back, once a week, & doing my own stuff with kettlebells.
Knowing what I know now, I feel confident in getting back into CrossFit, & doing it right this time around, & not over doing it.
Great thread!
Excellent choice on the paleo diet! It's one of the healthiest diets out there.

But I have to say, a lot of people recommending the whole P90X type exercise programs kind of scares me. In order to loose weight, and keep it off permanently, you have to be able to keep up with your diet and exercise program pretty much your whole life. While intense programs will have you loose weight fast, it is not a healthy choice for long term weight loss because it is too intense.

Running and cardio workouts are the absolute best for loosing fat, running and walking especially. Strength workouts are good to do in between but shouldn't be done daily.

Nutrition is the most important part. I am vegan, and I absolutely adore it. I highly recommend it to pretty much everyone, especially diabetics! It is low calorie, low fat, and potentially very low carb as well. Since becoming vegan and eating healthy, I have gone from size 12-13 pants to size 6-7. I honestly don't work out at all, but I know I should be.

What I recommend is to cut out the following:
Dairy (too high in fat and not good for you in general, especially considering there are much better sources of calcium out there)
White breads, most bread really.
Fast food and junk food, obviously.
Red meat and eggs.

Eat a ton of:
Leafy greens (rich in vitamins and minerals)
Colorful foods like sweet potato, red bell pepper (more vitamin C than an orange!), apples, ect.
Soy
Fruits and berries like blackberries, blueberries, etc. (anti oxidants)
Beans/rice, quinoa, tofu, tempeh (proteins!)
Nuts in moderation. (great source of Omega 3s in walnuts, and almonds are a superfood!)
Whole grains like wild rice, oatmeal, barley, bulgur, etc.

I am personally in love with Quinoa, a source of protein, fiber, phosphorus, magnesium (essential for absorbing calcium) and iron.

Honestly, veganism is probably one of the healthiest diets out there. It's also better for the environment and cruelty free! How can you beat that? Since I've switches over I eat a MUCH larger variety of foods than I used to, and cook most of my own meals. It's overall been a very good choice for me.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:42 PM   #24
VickyChaiTea
Forgot to mention! 3 reasonably portioned meals of healthy foods a day with small healthy snakes in between is the best way to go, along with running/walking and spaced out strength exercises like sit ups or push ups.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:42 PM   #25
VickyChaiTea
Healthy snakes haha! Can you tell what I have on the brain? Of course, I meant health snacks not snakes.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:26 PM   #26
Naagas
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyChaiTea View Post
There are a lot of really interesting posts here.

Excellent choice on the paleo diet! It's one of the healthiest diets out there.

But I have to say, a lot of people recommending the whole P90X type exercise programs kind of scares me. In order to loose weight, and keep it off permanently, you have to be able to keep up with your diet and exercise program pretty much your whole life. While intense programs will have you loose weight fast, it is not a healthy choice for long term weight loss because it is too intense.

Running and cardio workouts are the absolute best for loosing fat, running and walking especially. Strength workouts are good to do in between but shouldn't be done daily.

Nutrition is the most important part. I am vegan, and I absolutely adore it. I highly recommend it to pretty much everyone, especially diabetics! It is low calorie, low fat, and potentially very low carb as well. Since becoming vegan and eating healthy, I have gone from size 12-13 pants to size 6-7. I honestly don't work out at all, but I know I should be.

What I recommend is to cut out the following:
Dairy (too high in fat and not good for you in general, especially considering there are much better sources of calcium out there)
White breads, most bread really.
Fast food and junk food, obviously.
Red meat and eggs.

Eat a ton of:
Leafy greens (rich in vitamins and minerals)
Colorful foods like sweet potato, red bell pepper (more vitamin C than an orange!), apples, ect.
Soy
Fruits and berries like blackberries, blueberries, etc. (anti oxidants)
Beans/rice, quinoa, tofu, tempeh (proteins!)
Nuts in moderation. (great source of Omega 3s in walnuts, and almonds are a superfood!)
Whole grains like wild rice, oatmeal, barley, bulgur, etc.

I am personally in love with Quinoa, a source of protein, fiber, phosphorus, magnesium (essential for absorbing calcium) and iron.

Honestly, veganism is probably one of the healthiest diets out there. It's also better for the environment and cruelty free! How can you beat that? Since I've switches over I eat a MUCH larger variety of foods than I used to, and cook most of my own meals. It's overall been a very good choice for me.

I am also a big fan of the paleo diet.
I am on Mark's Daily Apple all of the time.
Paleo is basically high fat, high protein, high vegetable, lots of exercise.

I buy my food locally. I buy my veggies from local farmers and buy my cows and buffalo from local ranchers. I see how my food gets to the table, and I am happy to support local families.

Veganism?
I know a lot of fat, unhealthy vegans. Cutting out meat and not exercising and eating lots of soy products (high in fat, low in vitamins/minerals plus very processed and a carcinogen) is one of the WORST diets you can go on, IMO. I won't go into all the dangers of soy products, but they are usually a very processed and unhealthy food and a very common allergen. Here is a link discussing the benefits/dangers of soy: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/soy-scrutiny/

I have seen vegans have things like gall bladder failure, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, baldness, skin problems (acne, etc).

The other problem with Veganism is the lack of vitamin B-12, so if you do decide to go vegan, I recommend getting B vitamin shots. Oral supplements are usually not good enough.

That said, Veganism can be responsibly practiced. But the lack of animal products is not what makes it healthy. It is perfectly possible to eat like crap without eating animal products.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:34 PM   #27
Naagas
Oh... and here is a post on healthy vegetarian/vegan eating, Primal/Paleo style.
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/veganism-again/

Old 10-22-2011, 09:11 PM   #28
VickyChaiTea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naagas View Post
I am also a big fan of the paleo diet.
I am on Mark's Daily Apple all of the time.
Paleo is basically high fat, high protein, high vegetable, lots of exercise.

I buy my food locally. I buy my veggies from local farmers and buy my cows and buffalo from local ranchers. I see how my food gets to the table, and I am happy to support local families.

Veganism?
I know a lot of fat, unhealthy vegans. Cutting out meat and not exercising and eating lots of soy products (high in fat, low in vitamins/minerals plus very processed and a carcinogen) is one of the WORST diets you can go on, IMO. I won't go into all the dangers of soy products, but they are usually a very processed and unhealthy food and a very common allergen. Here is a link discussing the benefits/dangers of soy: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/soy-scrutiny/

I have seen vegans have things like gall bladder failure, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, baldness, skin problems (acne, etc).

The other problem with Veganism is the lack of vitamin B-12, so if you do decide to go vegan, I recommend getting B vitamin shots. Oral supplements are usually not good enough.

That said, Veganism can be responsibly practiced. But the lack of animal products is not what makes it healthy. It is perfectly possible to eat like crap without eating animal products.
Well of course, veganism can be unhealthy if you eat nothing but meat replacements and bread haha! But increasing your vegetable intake and cutting out dairy especially is good for you.

And, of course, cutting out parts of your diet and only focusing on veggies causes malnutrition. A proper vegan diet would never leave you bald or with osteoporosis.

It is, as you said, possible to eat healthy without begin vegan or even vegetarian. I simply recommend veganism due to it's health benefits and the benefits to the environment.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google