CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Classifieds Section > Other Animals and Related Items Wanted
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Other Animals and Related Items Wanted Any other types of animals, plus caging, feeders, etc, WANTED can be posted within this area.

WANTED: Snakes

Old 04-11-2012, 01:08 AM   #1
Erika N.
WANTED: Snakes

I am looking to add a non-corn to my list of snakes that is similar to them but different enough to satisfy me. Below is a list of what kinds of snakes I am looking for;

Ribbon Snake Thamnophis sauritus sauritus
Dotted House Snake Lamprophis Maculatus
Cape House Snake Lamprophis Capensis
Brown House Snake Lamprophis Fuliginosus
Rough Green Snake Opheodrys aestivus
Great Plains Ratsnake Elaphe guttata emoryi
Beast Corn Corn Snake x Black Rat Snake

Thanks,

Erika

Old 04-11-2012, 01:20 AM   #2
Erika N.
I guess I should also mention that I would prefer captive bred to wild caught specimens and for the mice eaters to be feeding on f/t to live.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:28 AM   #3
Carinata
Rough Greens eat crickets and aren't ever CB. Very cool species, though

Old 04-11-2012, 01:35 AM   #4
Erika N.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carinata View Post
Rough Greens eat crickets and aren't ever CB. Very cool species, though
I did happen to know about the eating crickets/insects part but I didn't know that nobody had ever successful bred them in captivity.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:54 AM   #5
Carinata
A few old school guys did waaaaay back in the 80's and 90's.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:42 AM   #6
Erika N.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carinata View Post
A few old school guys did waaaaay back in the 80's and 90's.
Would you happen to know if they stopped because it was difficult to breed them, or; was it just because the Rough Green wasn't 'popular' enough in the snake business?

Old 04-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
Carinata
Well, it's just how the industry evolved. Ball Pythons began gaining popularity, and those unique lesser-known species just weren't popular enough. They're difficult to breed, studies suggest they need UV lighting and very specific supplementation to thrive. Occasionally someone will have a WC female lay eggs, and will hatch them.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #8
crackerhead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika N. View Post
Rough Green Snake Opheodrys aestivus
The Rough Green Tree Snake is a protected species in your state as it is in most Midwest states. Making it illegal to sell, collect or purchase them in Indiana.

Terri

Old 04-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #9
Erika N.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerhead View Post
The Rough Green Tree Snake is a protected species in your state as it is in most Midwest states. Making it illegal to sell, collect or purchase them in Indiana.

Terri
Thanks, i was actually just readind the DNR: Indiana's Reptile & Amphibian Regulations and saw that they are a native species (though not endangered like the smooth green). Granted I cant edit my post and take it off so I hope people actually read further into this thread.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #10
Carinata
That's another thing to take into consideration when buying a snake, make sure it's legal first! I had a Rough Green for a while, very neat display snake, ate dusted crickets very well, I had a UV light for it. It did very well for me!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google