CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Bedding

Old 06-21-2002, 06:40 PM   #1
apollo's mom
Question Bedding

Hello! Im new here but I wanted to join to see what everyone else's experiences were. The question I have for now is what is the best bedding for a corn snake? Or at least opinions Thanks!

Old 06-21-2002, 06:46 PM   #2
kenster
the most popular around here is aspen shavings. There are so many different things out there that basically it is up to you.Oh and welcome to the forum...

Old 06-21-2002, 06:54 PM   #3
Alicia
Hi and welcome. Aspen is what I use. Other acceptable substrates are newspaper, papertowels, Reptibark or other commercial bedding. Not good are cedar, pine, corncob, sand.

Alicia

Old 06-21-2002, 06:57 PM   #4
B-J@y
Hi, welcom to this forum!
i've posted a poll a while back over bedding! and in the US the best thing is aspenshavings! and in europe the best thing is beech chips!

there are other beddings like repti-bark! but these are more expensive.... repti bark looks great by the way!

hope you will find what you are looking for!

Old 06-21-2002, 09:41 PM   #5
Iris
My snake loves aspen but paper towels are the easiest for me. It's easy to spot to poop so you don't have to hunt around in the bedding and very cheap. I have a compromise with my snake. Half the tank is aspen and the other half is paper towel. I just pray that he poops on the paper towel side so I don't have to go poop hunting.

Old 06-21-2002, 10:05 PM   #6
HomeBreeder
no corn-cob?

why no corn-cob?

Is'nt corn-cob the base or single component of "lizard litter"? (ESU product, I think)

How about a substrate I saw the other day.... walnut shells milled to a nearly sand-like consistency.... any opinions?

So far, I get the best responce from aspen because they can submarine in it... one of the best times to watch them, as they slither around and parascope here and there...

^Curtis

Old 06-21-2002, 11:02 PM   #7
CornsnakeKeeper
I thought the ground walnut shells is called lizard litter.
I used it before.
Looks like dirt and they like to bed in it.
Too messy for my tastes though.
Plus, too expensive.

Old 06-21-2002, 11:04 PM   #8
Iris
Corn cob is VERY BAD if swallowed. It causes impaction I think.
I think I read on Melissa Kaplan's site that it causes "excessive drying of dermal tissues."
Also, this is my personal experience, but it rots very quickly when it gets wet and doesn't cover up the stinkiness of the poop very well. Plus on the package itself it says "Not for reptile use."

Old 06-22-2002, 01:46 AM   #9
lynn
I use paper towel's at the moment but in the Uk it seem's to be beech chip, though you can get hemp which look's identical to the Aspen, it is more expensive than the beech chip.

Old 06-22-2002, 02:09 AM   #10
DustinWaller
Hello

I use indoor/outdoor carpeting for my snakes. And for my scarlet i used echo earth but it got moldy FAST( in lik 4 hours) . I did like the echo earth but if the snakes type does not need moss dont put it in there i would say. To much of a pain. I used corn cob becouse my moms old boyfriend when she was young or somthing,dont want to go there heehe,but they were herpers. Every night they would go in a jeep and drive in the woods and on roads to rescue snakes and capture them. He would catch 2 and let them mate and let the mother and babys go at the same time. And we live in flordia,so many rednecks here and twangers that they see a snake they pull out their rifels and.. well everyone knows twangers and rednecks hate anything that moves . And it sucks becouse my whole dads side are red necks and twangers. Well back to the story,my moms boyfriend kept all of his snakes on ground up corn cob. And he never had anything go wrong with the bedding so she of corse told me to use the corn cob. :P But sorry for the story,ya i would use carpet if you have some. I found some in the garage . Happy herping

Dustin

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google