CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Where are the RED amels?

Old 09-27-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
Mark Dwight
Where are the RED amels?

Many years ago I had a pair of deep red amels. But now I can't find anything even close to those. Every amel I see is orange. What happened to red corn snakes? As common as red amel use to be I never thought this would be a problem, but I cant find true red amels anywhere. What's the deal?

Old 09-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
airenlow
Find some from "red factor" lines...

Old 09-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
Mark Dwight
I'm really looking for polygenic red lines. I'm not a fan of red factor/red coat (except when added to snow.)

Old 09-27-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
dave partington
Amel het peppermint (cinder) which Carol (LBR) produces are very red-red. Also take a look at amel bloodreds. And I agree, the old-fashioned early 1980's 'candycanes' were very red.

It would seem that polygenic line breeding would be a good way to develop a line of true red amels.

Strawberry amels are also worth looking at.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:57 PM   #5
Mark Dwight
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave partington View Post
the old-fashioned early 1980's 'candycanes' were very red.
Yep! Wish I would have kept some of those I miss the Love line deep red RO's too.
With all the emphasis on just seeing how many morph genes we can combine into one animal I think we have lost some of what made corn snakes attractive in the first place.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #6
Chip
Don at SMR has a nice red line he call Sunrise corns:

Old 09-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #7
airenlow
This girl makes nice red babies...

Now owned by Rich333

Old 09-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #8
Tom Tuttle
I'm not sure which type amel you like. But these one produce some nice red babies. Two of these are available. Considering that these ladies are het caramel they have some nice red.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
Tom Tuttle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave partington View Post
Amel het peppermint (cinder) which Carol (LBR) produces are very red-red. Also take a look at amel bloodreds. And I agree, the old-fashioned early 1980's 'candycanes' were very red.

It would seem that polygenic line breeding would be a good way to develop a line of true red amels.

Strawberry amels are also worth looking at.
Cinder certainly brings some nice reds into amels.

Candycane

Old 09-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #10
MindsEyeExotics
That candycane above is hands down the most gorgeous candycane I've ever seen, I stared at it for far too long. Now that is a cornsnake!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google