CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Snake eating a fish pics

Old 06-17-2004, 06:25 PM   #1
Edmund
Snake eating a fish pics

My friend studies bats at MU in Columbia, MO, and while out on a trip she came across this snake (don't know what kind) munching down on a fish. Pretty cool to see, I thought. Anyone know what kind of snake this is?

Old 06-17-2004, 06:34 PM   #2
Edmund
Another...

Old 06-17-2004, 09:28 PM   #3
dovetailthis
That is the coolest.

I've never seen a snake eat a fish before. I've seen a turtle and a lizard do it but never a snake.

Thanks for sharing any body else got some pictures like that?

Aaron

Old 06-17-2004, 10:42 PM   #4
Susan
I find it extremely interesting that the snake is eating the fish tail-first! You would think it would be easier to do it head-first because of the scales.

Old 06-17-2004, 11:04 PM   #5
dovetailthis
Maybe he will consider your imput next time.

(((Someone!!!))) Please tell the snake.

Aaron

Old 06-18-2004, 01:00 AM   #6
Drizzt80
Susan, my first thought wasn't due to the scales, but the dorsal fin. I wonder what type of fish that is (as well as the snake) because most of the fish we have in our lakes up here in ND have a spiney dorsal fin, and that is not conducive to swallowing backwards!

D80

Old 06-18-2004, 11:29 AM   #7
stuart
garter snakes eat fish, thats not a garter snake, but sum1 said they had never seen a snake eat a fish, buy a garter and all ull be able to buy it is goldfish lol. i bet its cool to watch tho, cos u put the fish in the water bowl (alive) and the garter snaps it out ...

Old 06-18-2004, 12:40 PM   #8
Amanda E
Looks like a water snake to me. You supposedly have 5 different species and one subspecies in Missouri. I looked at the ranges and it's probably the same type as the one's that live here (Ohio), the Northern Water Snake (Nerodia sipedon sipedon). Ours aren't nearly as vibrant though. Most of the water snakes here are very dark so that you can barely make out the pattern. But then again different localities look different.

Old 06-18-2004, 11:14 PM   #9
Edmund
Thanks for the info, Amanda. I lightened up those pictures quite a bit in Photoshop so you could see what was going on. So I'm not sure how bright his colors/pattern really are.

Old 06-19-2004, 01:05 AM   #10
carol
My first snake (I believe I was 12) died because he ate a goldfish backwards. Ate them head first for years, I don't know why he tried doing it different.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google