CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Snake w/ one eye

Old 10-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
Jessica29
Snake w/ one eye

This was one of the normals I got for free with my coral ghost. It looks like its a deformity and not an injury as it looks like he has a little tiny eye. Has anyone ever had a snake with one eye? He's the only one that did not eat for me. I posted pics in the phot gallery but here's the best I could do. I'm just hoping that this deformity does not interfere with feeding or shedding.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
bitsy
Corns don't rely heavily on their eyesight, so only having one functional eye in captivity shouldn't have any particular impact on the snake's quality of life (it doesn't have to look out for predators or hunt for food). You'll just need to be careful that you approach to pick it up from the side with the good eye, so that you don't startle it.

It's a shame that you don't know whether there are any other underlying problems. It shouldn't be used for breeding, just in case the condition is genetic and inheritable. Did it come with feeding records detailing what it was eating, how often, and when it last ate? It may just be the shipping which has stressed it and it might need longer to settle down.

As a side note, were you warned in advance that you were being sent a one-eyed snake? If not, it sounds like rather than a free snake, you've instead been dumped with something unsaleable which has the potential (albeit not guaranteed) to need costly vet care at some point. That would be pretty unscrupulous if it was done knowingly. The alternative is that there's no way the vendor can have checked the snakes over properly before shipping if they didn't spot that one of them only had a single functional eye.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
jessicashallperish
I have a female snow that has one eye smaller than the other and it is non visual. she does great

Old 10-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #4
Jessica29
Well this guy refused food again Saturday, but the two that came with him did as well. The day after one went in to blue, so I'm hoping it was because they're about to shed. Ill try again this Saturday and maybe try live. How long should he go before I consider force feeding?

Old 10-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #5
Chip
Frankly, I won't force feed any corn. They eat on their own or weren't meant to make it. A one eyed, kinked, wonky jawed, etc. I never even offer food. They go to kingsnakes. All that said, I bet yours will take live.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:46 AM   #6
Jessica29
I understand where you're coming from if you have a lot of snakes, but I've only got 10, so I can afford to try whatever it takes to keep him alive, even if it means force feeding to get him started. I'm going to try live, boiled, tuna scent, ivory scented ect before force feeding though. I just don't know how long until he won't make it.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
BloodyBaroness
Did you know this snake had a defect when you got if from the breeder? Did you know the breeder beforehand?

It seems like you may have gotten a problem snake dumped on you.

A huge collection of snakes or 3, sometimes a non-feeding snake with a deformity is a sign that it was not meant to thrive. Try the methods, but please also steel yourself that this little one may not make it.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
Jessica29
I was told that there may be an extra normal snake in the box that was het for the other snake I bought. But there ended up being three extra normals. Which is fine with me. But I have no knowledge of feeding or shedding prior to them arriving. I've got hope for this little guy/girl.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #9
BloodyBaroness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica29 View Post
I was told that there may be an extra normal snake in the box that was het for the other snake I bought. But there ended up being three extra normals. Which is fine with me. But I have no knowledge of feeding or shedding prior to them arriving. I've got hope for this little guy/girl.
Hmmm... sounds like you may have been given "clear out" snakes. Not that it's totally a bad thing, but sometimes you get a mixed bag of feeding/nonfeeding/issues. I'm not saying that is totally the case here, but it gives pause for thought.

I hope they do well and start feeding again.

Also, I know this is going to seem nit-picky, don't take it the wrong way as I do not know your full intent, but please do not consider breeding the one-eyed one. That trait seems to congenital in some snakes and can have other bad effects tagged along with it.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
Jessica29
I understand your concern. Spook will be kept as a pet, no worries there. I've got a pair of coral ghosts, and then the two siblings from spook that have the hets to produce coral ghosts. Just don't know their sexs. That's plenty for me. I really should learn how to pop though

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google