CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Worried About Hiding Snake

Old 10-17-2012, 05:28 AM   #1
Bexini
Worried About Hiding Snake

My second corn vivien hasn't come out of his hide for 2 days, we a couple of pinkies on top of his coconut hide overnight and he hasn't touched them either.

He could be shedding but we aren't sure... he's a really nervous snake as it is but we are thinking if we don't see him by half way through the evening tonight we pull his hide up and check on him.

Any opinions/advice?

Old 10-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
marieK
It won't hurt to have a quick peek! I have 2 of this year's hatchlings and I make a point of at least seeing them every day as one of them did manage to escape for a few hours. Every morning even when I know they're in shed I make sure they're still in they're vivs. Just lift it up from one side and have a look. He's most likely in shed but it will put your mind at ease!

Old 10-18-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
Graysonhawke
How's Vivien doing?

Old 10-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
Bexini
Well we peeked at him and he doesnt appear to be shedding. Red has gone into hiding too since we fed her, checked on her and she looked startled and then i replaced the hide. They both seem fine just don't want to come out, red at least ate,

Its annoying cos they were both out every night the first week or so.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
Graysonhawke
I wish I had something useful to tell you but I am a newbie snake owner and really am not qualified. My corn is constantly in one of his/her hides all the time.
I hope everything turns out alright.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:11 AM   #6
diamondlil
To be honest, snakes aren't much of an entertaining pet. If their needs are met they have no need to burn off energy, so they don't. A hiding snake (if there are no health issues) is a happy snake.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:26 AM   #7
Bexini
Thanks diamond, only reason I was worried is cos for the first week or so they were out exploring and then suddenly went into hiding.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #8
Nanci
What you call "exploring" snakes call "determining escape-proofness!!"

The shedding process starts long before it is visible to the human eye. It still could be that. I figure if I don't see a snake, that is usually out _sometime_ during a 24 hour period, for two or three days, then it is in the blue phase.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #9
Bexini
I believe we have come down to the root of the problem.. just lifted their hides to check on them and while they don't have blue eyes they are both very pale and have lost most of their colour. I believe from our research that this means they are in fact shedding?

Old 10-19-2012, 05:15 PM   #10
bitsy
Yup! That's the blue phase starting up.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google