• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How do you know when your snakes asleep?

Jicin

Corn love
I'm looking at them wondering if there just staring at me. Checking me out. The don't move or flicker with their tongue. Does that mean there asleep or just lying around? Usually that ends with me poking at them to see if there alright :D if they don't flicker their tongue is that a 'sure sign' there asleep or they just don't have anything interesting to smell

hmm. when im handling my own they are always active, there is a time when they just sit there, yours is probably just chilling, you know. lol. maybe it feels that safe with you it may have fallen alseep, i usually just stroke mine and then they flicker their tongue, at the moment with my eldest, missy, as shes not very well, she dont move at all, not in the viv or in my hands, nor when i go to take her out her viv she still doenst flicker her tongue, so at the mo, im always poking her or stroking her to get her tongue flicking.
but i normally stare right up close at their eyes, coz brown eyed ones you can see their eyes move about and what they are looking at. if they are still but their eyes are moving i know they are chilling but if their eyes are not moving then i assume they are asleep.
hope this helps

Ha, ha Neumann!! I think when they're coiled up in their hides and nothing is moving, they're as asleep as snakes get.

=p Haha Neumann. Also for what missy said just look into the eyes of the snake and try to see the pupils and just check out to see if they move around or folllow you wherever you move. Then they are obviesly awake.

I can always tell when one of my corns is asleep because her eyes drop, almost like she is looking cross-eyed. It's pretty funny looking.

Everything needs to sleep at some point. They may not need much (horses sleep about 1 hour out of 24) but they would have to sleep.

Even girafes sleep. 15 minutes. And guess how. Lying down :D

Anyway, i still can't determine if they are alsleep or not. I mean, there in their hiding place all day. Usually when i can't see them at all but sometimes there heads are poking out :D Still difficult to see if there asleep or just chilling.

Yesterday i felt i really connected to the red striped one. She had her head poking out checking me out. Sometimes pulling in entirely into the hiding place, but she also crawled out a bit. Moving when i did. I can't help thinking this is pure curiousity.
I put my hand in the cage and she was really interested in that. Probably only to determine if i was food or not. But she came really close to my hand all by hereself. I hope she at least imprinted my smell and not treatning (and non-eatable :D)

I was allowed to help an adult corn a few months back. First washing my hand carefully. Still the snake bit me in my hand with the intent to swallow me. Pretty ambiguously plans that one had :D

There's a picture on the forum here somewhere of a corn attempting to eat this guy's finger. He says it does it every time he holds her.

It's one of Marcel Poots snakes, a blood red if my memory is good. The little fella's just trying to get a pinky! ;)

Back