CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

size of a year old corn?

Old 07-23-2004, 02:36 PM   #1
Missy
size of a year old corn?

hello all
how big or long is the average year old corn?
as im after a male corn from this reptile place and he said that his males were a year old, however i have a 2 year old female corn and shes double smaller than what this male was.

this is a pic of my 2 year old, diaga, in our kitchen scales

is she just small for a 2 year old, do you think?
she about 2 ft in length but quite small, shes eats fuzzies, sometimes 2 fuzzies every 7-10 days.

Old 07-23-2004, 02:54 PM   #2
cranwill
Well, mathematically, there IS an average but it doesn't really mean anything. The size at one year can depend on SO many things.

- 1st clutch or 2nd clutch baby?
- Feeding frequency
- Size of feeders
- How quickly the snake moved from pinkies-fuzzies and fuzzies-hoppers and etc
- The temps available to the snake
- Genetics

And so on... but if I HAD to say an average for 1 year, I would say around 200g and around 24"...???? That would be my average.

Old 07-23-2004, 03:34 PM   #3
Neumann
I think Tim is spot on, there's just no way to tell for sure...

We have two corns who are now almost a year old that we feed once a week on an average sized meal, that is to say, we don't power feed them and we step up their meal size slowly. They are now on fuzzy mice. I track growth statistics and they will occasionally have growth spurts and slow downs. In the last two months they've each added 5 inches to their lengths- a definite spurt! Our anery is now 28 inches long and our okeetee (LoOkeetee) is 26.5 inches long. Soon we are going test a small mouse on our anery. If she can take it then I'm sure she will start growing quite rapidly and will reach, or even exceed, 3 feet in length before she's two yeas old.

Cheers,
Jason

Old 07-23-2004, 10:26 PM   #4
MegF.
My year old amel is 33" long, while my year old Aztec is only 24". It just depends on the snake, I'm guessing.

Old 07-24-2004, 11:33 AM   #5
babbaloo99
My male amel is about 32 inches and will be a year old next month. But I just got him in March and I don't know how he was feed up until then. He seems on the large end though compared to others on this forum who have asked the question before. I had been feeding him one small mouse every 7-10 days but he has been looking around quite often looking for more, so last week I fed him two small mice and he scarfed them down. I may need to bump him up to jumbo mice soon.

Your have a beautiful looking snake by the way

Old 07-24-2004, 02:57 PM   #6
fsqwert
My male Okeetee corn is 13 months...and he is about 32 inches also...but he seems to be gaining a lot of girth recently. Also, he eats 1 hopper per week. I fed him 2 hoppers once, but I decided that one was plenty.

"Gentlemen...we can rebuild him"

Old 07-24-2004, 04:16 PM   #7
MegF.
Mine eats one medium mouse now, once a week. My Aztec is eating 2 fuzzies.

Old 07-24-2004, 04:38 PM   #8
hemolymph
How many inches should a snake healthily grow within a year ? Like.. do they only grow when they shed ? How much length on average do they grow after a shed ? an inch or so ?

Just asking, My snake has only shed twice since I've had her.. and the 2nd shed was a bad one.. (it was too dry).... and she hasn't grown more than an inch or so.. and i've had her almost 4 months.

- jeni

Old 07-24-2004, 05:53 PM   #9
Missy
thank you all.
i did measure diaga, (the one in my first post) in april and she was 2foot 10 inches, she turned two years old today. is this a normal length for a 2 yr old? roughly is all im asking for. :-)
thanx again for all your replies, big help!
:-)

Old 07-24-2004, 06:39 PM   #10
MegF.
Well, in the 5 months I've had the aztec, she's only put on 2". My amel, in 8 months, has put on 16". They are both fed the same type of food, and both are fed once a week. I have increased to every 5 days on the aztec, to see if that helps her put on a little growth. She also regurged once, which the amel never has. I found it interesting that in the first couple of months I had the amel, she only got more girth, not length. After that, she really took off in the growth. I think I noticed more change when she went up to fuzzies. Snakes shed in response to growth I think when they are younger. After they are adults, they still shed, just not as often. My amel sheds about once a month, my aztec, every 2 months.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google