• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

A bunch of Fire's and one Amel

MysticExotics

(formerly NWHeather)
These babies were produced by Casey Lazik.
The Dam is Amel het for Bloodred (she's a very bright Amel and I think she was from a Christmas project). The Sire, is Amel, and I think is het Bloodred as well, but I'm not sure.

17 babies hatched out on Friday. Seven of them are Fire's, the rest are Amel.

Casey picked out two that have the most white on the heads, and I think those two seem to have diffusion on the sides. He gave me the other five Masque babies (I believe they're all Masque) and one runt, that doesn't look Masque so much, but she looks Diffused. It may be that she just hasn't developed coloring yet, because she is a runt (3 grams). We initially thought she was a twin, because she is so small, the rest of the clutch are all about 7-8 grams each, but we counted eggs and babies, and she is just a runt.
The runt also has a slight dome head (not near as prominent as the babies from the eggs I was given a few years back) "Will they hatch" thread.
Anyhow, I wanted to see how these babies would turn out, and Casey offered me some babies, so I initially picked out two, but he wanted me to take more, so I took all of the ones that look Masque. I'll get them eating, and see how they progress, and then pick one or two to keep, and the rest will be available at a later date.

*Updated (9/2/14) I believe that all but one of these are Fire's.

I did snap some pics as I got them settled in their bins.

I'll get better pics after they shed next week.

Here are the pics I took so far.

AM1
AM2
AM3
AM4
AM5

Attachments

• 026am2.jpg
    026am2.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 330
  • 027am3.jpg
    027am3.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 332
  • 028am4.jpg
    028am4.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 332
  • 029am5.jpg
    029am5.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 331
  • 025am1.jpg
    025am1.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:
AM3 has some pattern disruption, like there was something incubation where the saddles don't line up, in a couple areas.

And here is the tiny little runt (AM?6) who doesn't appear to be Masque, but does have a clear belly.

(All of these appear to have clear bellies, but I will get pics after they shed for better look).

Attachments

• 014am6belly.jpg
    014am6belly.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 330
  • 016am6.jpg
    016am6.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 329
  • am6.jpg
    am6.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 329
  • 033am6.jpg
    033am6.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 329
Last edited:
I now have pics of the parents to these babies, and what they were sold to Casey as.
Dam is Amel het Bloodred, poss het Hypo (in blue in the photo)
Sire is Amel (Strawberry?) -I was told he is believed to be Strawberry Amel, but it hasn't been proven, so that could be wrong.

I'm not seeing any checkers on these Masque babies, and while the diffusion is not the best, I do believe these are Fires.

I do plan on keeping at least one of them, and possibly 1.1.

These babies should turn out pretty bright, either way.

Attachments

• amelhetbloodredposshethypo.jpg
    amelhetbloodredposshethypo.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 323
  • amel strawberry.jpg
    amel strawberry.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
And they all look masque. Based on the width of the white stripe over the face, behind the red stripe. Maybe it's thinner on AM3. I wouldn't bet on anything concerning bloodred till I saw post-shed belly pics.

AM6 (the runt without apparent Masque) is the only belly shot so far. I don't think she is Masque. I initially thought she had Diffusion, but I think it's just undeveloped patterning.

No, I posted the aside comment first, then added pics of the last baby, the runt.
I edited for clarification.

The 3rd one down in the main post is #3. S/he has saddles that look like they just didn't line up, in some of them.

Do you think the Dam is what I should probably expect my baby to turn out like?
I'll start a progression thread for her too to add whatever I can to this topic of learning. :)

Do you think the Dam is what I should probably expect my baby to turn out like?
I'll start a progression thread for her too to add whatever I can to this topic of learning. :)

Just to be clear, that's the dam on this thread, not on my thread...

I don't know the genetics on your clutch, so I wouldn't be able to answer that question.
There's a few different genes in play, that tend to affect the outcome.

The dam pictured in my thread is in blue, in that photo, so it's also not an completely accurate photo.
She is very bright in person.

The sire of my babies has saturated colors too, with more white bordering.
I expect these babies (in my thread) to be brightly colored, but I am waiting to see if there's possibly Bloodred/Diffused involved as well.

So I talked to my friend Nick, who said that he thinks the little runt is actually a twin. We never thoroughly checked the eggs after they hatched. I did a quick check, and did not feel any, but I was feeling for a normal sized baby and didn't fully squeeze the eggs.

He also said the dome head is not necessarily a deformity, but that the baby likely hatched a little premature, and that if the baby survives, it will likely go away.
He said it's not uncommon in twins to have that dome head.

Hopefully this baby and the Triplet MBK will survive. :)

Two of the babies shed today.
Baby #3, (with the misaligned saddles) and baby #5.

Both appear to be female, on initial sexing.

Both bellies appear clear.

Attachments

• 005am3.jpg
    005am3.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 006am3.jpg
    006am3.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 007am5.jpg
    007am5.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 010am5.jpg