CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Please Help Me ID this Odd-Looking Striped Morph the Just Hatched

Old 06-01-2015, 01:15 AM   #1
wendhend
Question Please Help Me ID this Odd-Looking Striped Morph the Just Hatched

I just hatched three of these odd-looking pale orange and tan babies. The one in the first photo is the only one in its clutch, and there were two in a different clutch. They are all sired by the same male, and I have never hatched anything quite like them. I imagine they will be brighter after their first shed, but can anybody recognize what morph they are?

Name:  funky striped corn 1.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  161.3 KB

Name:  funky striped corns.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  188.6 KB

Old 06-01-2015, 06:32 AM   #2
Firefur
Cute beyond that no clue

Old 06-01-2015, 08:38 AM   #3
TimeBomb
Do you happen to have any pictures of the parents and/or know what the parents are? Maybe somebody around here can correctly identify it based on the pictures, but it would be super useful to see the parents.

-Travis

Old 06-01-2015, 09:00 AM   #4
Nanci
They look like vanishing normals or hypos, to me.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:37 AM   #5
blacktip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
They look like vanishing normals or hypos, to me.
I was thinking the same. Looked like vanishing stripe normals to me at first, but I can see now how they might be hypo.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:54 PM   #6
Nanci
I'm more inclined to say normal. Hypos are more orangey. Here are some normal stripes I hatched. Not quite as vanished.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:17 PM   #7
wendhend
Question Tessera Stripes, perhaps?

Thank you for your replies! I intentionally didn't say what the parents were initially in order to see if anyone else would see what I think I am seeing without me suggesting what genes might be involved. As far as color goes, I do think they are normal rather than hypo, but the vanishing stripes is what's making it difficult to ID them, and none of the parents have that sort of thing at all.

The baby in the first photo is from my tessera stripe male now proven het anery cinder and hypo bred to my amel het cinder stripe female. The two babies in the bottom photo were produced from the same tessera stipe male bred to my fire het anery stripe female. So, I actually think they may all be tessera stripes rather than normal stripes, but with the stripes vanishing like that and not letting you see whether they would be continuous to the end or broken up, it's hard to tell. Also each clutch did produce striped babies with stripes that go much further down and break up into dotted lines down toward the tail, like you typically see on normal stripes. Those ones to me are clearly normal stripes, and I think these odd-looking ones are likely the tessera stripes. Any thoughts?

Name:  tessera stripe het anery cinder hypo corn snake.jpg
Views: 1021
Size:  207.4 KB
Their sire: tessera stripe het anery cinder hypo

Old 06-20-2015, 05:59 PM   #8
ecreipeoj
They look like genetic Striped + Tessera to me.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:23 PM   #9
wendhend
Tessera Stripes!

Yes, I found out that they are indeed tessera stripes. I contacted Don Soderberg, who I knew had extensive experience with tessera morph combos, and he said he was sure that's what they are. Apparently the vanished stripe look is much less common with them, but it's what my tessera male has a tendency to throw. Anyway, here is a link to one of Don's Snake of the Day shares from last year regarding this striped particular tessera stripe look:

https://www.cornsnake.net/index.php?...id=252&lang=en

Don said I should try to work toward producing non-striped striped tesseras, since I already seem to have a good start, so that's what I will probably will work toward in the future, as well as combining that look with different morphs. So, I am planning to keep all of these weird ones, and I look forward to seeing how they turn out looking as adults!

Old 06-20-2015, 07:57 PM   #10
crturley
Sorry to come rather late to the discussion, but . . .

I'm 99.9% certain they're tessera stripes. Rich Hume and I did a loan with my "striped" tessera female two years ago that ended up proving she was actually a striped/motley tessera. Bred to Rich's striped pied blood, she produced motleys, stripey tesseras that looked like her, and stripes of two sorts: normal-looking stripes and also the vanishing-stripe sort, which all had little or no lateral striping (and often very little dorsal striping, either) and very faded head patterns vis-a-vis normal stripes.

Since then I have worked with two other clutches involving tessera and stripe, and produced the same two "types" of stripes, in proportions consistent with Mendelian inheritance. Joe Pierce (before he vanished again) was also producing the same things in his tessera stripe clutches, and posted about them on the Source.

The confusion stems, I think, from the fact that what were originally called "striped" tesseras were in fact motley tesseras, or motley/stripe tesseras. True striped tesseras from those clutches were (I'm guessing) sold off as mere stripes.

Your results make me that much more sure. A few more weeks should either prove it or make me look like an ass, since this year I bred one of the suspected striped tessera males from the clutch with Rich to a normally-patterned female, in the hope of seeing some tesseras pop out. Fingers crossed.

Here are some pics comparing the "normal" stripe pheno with the suspected tessera stripes from two different clutches.

From Motley/Stripe Tessera x Striped Pied Bloodred:
normal stripe (sorry it's not a very clear photo, but you can see the bolder head pattern and that the lateral and dorsal striping that extend all the way to the vent)
suspected tessera stripe (the male I am testing this year)

From Motley/Stripe Tessera x Miami het Stripe
normal stripe
suspected tessera stripe

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google