CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

They hatched...and they're not corns! =D

Old 08-25-2004, 11:27 PM   #1
Taceas
They hatched...and they're not corns! =D

A couple months ago, my mother called me to ask me to come dig up this box turtle nest in the middle of the yard. She noticed the turtle excavating the nest while she was mowing, and she didn't want to damage the eggs in any way. So I found the nest site (not an easy thing) and dug up the little jewels, 5 in all, and placed them in my incubator which was currently cooking corn eggs.

Very quickly 2 of the eggs went bad, and upon a haphazard examination I determined they were infertile. No remains of an embryo that I saw. But the other three looked great. The weeks and days passed and I thought..are you guys ever gonna hatch? They finally did, 61 days later.

My husband and I took up landscaping for our new home. The previous owners planted beautiful azalea bushes where I didn't want and so we put them in the front of our house. While digging, my husband came across eggs...6 of them in all. They were harder than snake eggs and looked a lot like the box turtle eggs in the incubator. So I put them in there and waited..a week passes and they hatch, 2 of them went bad so I had 4 more box turtles to my name.

A woman at work, her son is obsessed with box turtles. He's got 15 in a huge outdoor enclosure in the yard and he babies them, even hand feeds them. So I let her son have one for his collection. And the others I think if I can get them eating I might keep them over the winter and release them out in the woods next spring.

Anyway, here's pictures. They're so damn cute! =D

The first four are all of the same hatchling, he was just so cute in his shell I just kept snapping pictures: He's still a little rambunctious thing. =P

These next couple are the same turtle as above, taken the next day when he finally emerged from his shell. He was a wiggly one, so I apologize if they may be out of focus. =P

And the whole "herd" as I call them: =P

Hope you enjoyed! More pictures later on.

Old 08-25-2004, 11:45 PM   #2
babbaloo99
Those are great pics! Boy of if my son saw one he'd want one for sure. What do they eat at this young age anyways? Best of luck to you. I always think of you as a "Mother Nature" as you always seem to stumble upon little animals needing some TLC.

Old 08-26-2004, 12:01 AM   #3
Taceas
At this age the things I've read in books and online point me towards:

Offering them a mix of both protein and vegetable matter.

Protein:
slugs
earthworms
snails
sow bugs
canned cat food

Vegetable:
green leaf lettuce
smushed green beans and peas
spinach
dandelion (leaves and flowers)
all fruits (sparingly) (no avocado)

Basically..anything you eat, they'll eat. You just have to make sure the size is manageble for them to nibble on. They also require a calcium suppliment without D3, as they make their own. They also require an hour's worth of sunlight a day. So I set them out under a somewhat shaded spot under a tree, it gets indirect light.

But they did caution that letting them eat too much protein can cause shell deformities. They need a good balanced diet. So right now I'm waiting on them to go through their yolk supply and the stubborn phase and eat. =P

Everyone I've talked to about them say they looooove near spoiled fruit, the almost-alcohol in it I guess. So I've got a banana over-ripening to see if that'll entice them to eat. But the kid I gave the one to said that he gets free fruit from the store that's past its prime..like peaches or other easily bruised fruit. And he says his adult turtles will fight over them till nothing but the core or pit remains.

So we shall see in a few days if they get hungry enough to take a bite.

Old 08-26-2004, 03:05 AM   #4
Flygning
Those are the cutest little things! I'm so glad all of my free money is tied up in corns, so I don't have to worry about ending up with more little critters.

Old 08-26-2004, 07:14 AM   #5
brownie55
Misty,

In my next life I want to come back as a foundling in your yard. It's great how you care for the little ones nature guides your way. You must have a very understanding husband. Kudos to both of you.

Old 08-26-2004, 09:36 AM   #6
Simon
Those pics are so cute~~!
I can totally understand why you were snapping photos of that little one in the egg~
its just so cute~

Congrats on the hatchlngs and hope that they'll start eating for you~!!

Great work!!!

Old 08-26-2004, 12:26 PM   #7
Skye
wonderful pics - thank you so much for caring and sharing

Old 08-26-2004, 08:01 PM   #8
Edmund
Taceas, I'm so happy to see they hatched! I remember when you first got them. They are sooo cute. Nice going!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google