CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

When should I feed again?

Old 01-30-2005, 11:21 AM   #1
howiet4702
When should I feed again?

OK....I tried feeding my little guy again today but after 1 hour, he was not interested. Here is his feeding history since Dec, 1st...

He eats 1 large pinky every feeding.

12/1
12/5
12/11
12/16
12/17 SHED
12/21
12/28
1/10 SHED
1/10
1/17

How long should I wait to try to feed him again? 5 days? 7 days?

Thanks!

Old 01-30-2005, 01:30 PM   #2
Mangrove
Lightbulb

1/17 last?? its been 13 days??? thats really long, i would just keep trying to introduce the mouse to him like every day so it dosnt die from starving... but i keep mine on the scedule of 5-7 days and it woks perfectly but other idea of what to do.

Old 01-30-2005, 01:36 PM   #3
dionythicus
Even neonates can go for a few weeks without eating, so if it's only been 13 days, I wouldn't be concerned that its going to starve just yet. I would try braining the pinky (poking a hole in its head so the fluids seep out). Some babies really like the smell and will be encouraged to eat. Try feeding in the evening, during normal snake activity time (when they would be hunting in nature).

Old 01-30-2005, 01:43 PM   #4
Mangrove
Question

i have always hward of braining pinkine but i dont think i could do it, you would jsut do it to frozen ones correct andd dont you still find it kinda crule??

Old 01-30-2005, 01:48 PM   #5
dionythicus
Yes, only brain the frozen ones. I could never do that to a living thing! I was really kinda squeamish the first time, but now I take the tip of my pointy scissors and just poke the center of the head. Make sure a little of the fluid comes out so the snake can smell it. I've even snipped the heads off pinks for my littlest neonates. I don't like to look at it for any length of time, but I can do it now without flinching.

Old 01-30-2005, 01:52 PM   #6
Mangrove
yeah i havce been feeling bad about feeding mice... i have been playing with the mouse before hand and it makes it that much worse... been looking into the snake sausage thing.... i jsut cant kill a living thing i mean i think im going to collage for like herps or ornathology one of the two birds or reps and in both i dont want anyhitng to die... and on the other hand i have wanted to be a pastor for my whole like so ministry so i dont know... i sjut feel bad a bout it....

Old 01-30-2005, 02:08 PM   #7
dionythicus
It is difficult to be the one responsible for the death of any living creature. That is one reason why I feed F/T. I have fed live before and I'm okay with it because it is the natural order of the world. Mice and rats, as cute as they are (and I have them for pets, I have a pet rat right now), they are prey animals. Death is a fact of life and we each have to find peace with that in our own way.

Old 01-30-2005, 02:12 PM   #8
Mangrove
Cool

yeah i guess i mean it gets easier and easier every time you do it but i mean its still sad... i guess ill jsut get over it soon.,

Old 01-30-2005, 02:13 PM   #9
CAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangrove
1/17 last?? its been 13 days??? thats really long, i would just keep trying to introduce the mouse to him like every day so it dosnt die from starving... but i keep mine on the scedule of 5-7 days and it woks perfectly but other idea of what to do.
Do not keep trying everyday! Keep on your regular schedule! You can condition the snake to ignore food when it is offered too often. That is not what you want. 13 days is nothing to be concerned about. Snakes do not function like a mammal, in need of regular nutrition.

I'd suggest leaving the pinkie inside the feeding container overnight if needed. Place the feeding container inside a dark cabinet and close the door (NO PEEKING!) and leave the snake alone. Sometimes there are just too much external stimuli and the snake gets distracted. (You can compare this to someone who can't go to the bathroom in front of others in public )

Old 01-30-2005, 02:17 PM   #10
howiet4702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangrove

I highly doubt that he will starve to death after just 13 days.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google