CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Head scales

Old 07-20-2005, 10:07 PM   #1
PtDnsr
Head scales

Well I'm not quite sure what's going on. I just noticed these scales on my Miami, Sunshine, tonight. Sorry it's not the best pic but she didn't want to cooperate. Almost looks like the scales are gone but it could also be that they're peeling. Everywhere else on her body is fine and nothing in her cage has changed since I've had her. It almost looks like retained scales would (never had that happen yet) but I know her eyecaps were off last time and this is right by her eyes. Suggestions anyone? Thanks!

~Katie

Old 07-21-2005, 08:05 AM   #2
~slither~
I'm no expert and this is just an idea, but is the viv. too moist? I'm sure I've heard it said that too much moisture can cause damage to scales, like crack them and stuff. Again, just a thought.

Old 07-21-2005, 03:29 PM   #3
Steve H
It's hard to tell by the pic but I've had a couple of baby corns in the past that had what looked like damaged or missing head scales but now as adults their head scales look normal.

Old 07-21-2005, 04:53 PM   #4
PtDnsr
It shouldn't be moisture as nothing has changed (the room she's in included) and there's actually an AC unit in the window in there to keep it from going above 75 in the room (we don't have central air). I guess she could have damaged them somehow by trying to get out but she's a yearling and I've never seen them before. I guess I'll just keep an eye on her.

~Katie

Old 07-21-2005, 10:18 PM   #5
MegF.
Is she due to shed. My amel used to get ratty looking on his head, and a few places on his body as he got closer to needing to shed. This was especially true when he was roaming the viv looking for love I would wait and see what happens after shed. The scales will probably be perfect, or near to it afterwards. Just make sure you keep the humidity up when she's due.

Old 07-23-2005, 11:55 AM   #6
PtDnsr
I got a better picture. I'm guessing she somehow damaged the scales because they are just white spots - some around the edge of a scale, others in the middle and even on the edges of her eye (eyecap I guess). She's acting normal and everything but I thought I'd post the better pic (you can actually see them here). Let me know if you have any suggestions.

~Katie

Old 07-23-2005, 05:37 PM   #7
MegF.
She looks ready to shed to me...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google