CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

2 cornsnakes in 1 cage?

Old 08-07-2005, 04:32 PM   #1
LowNFToy
2 cornsnakes in 1 cage?

Is it ok to have mine and my girlfriends snakes living together in the same terrarium? mines an amel, about a year old.. and the one she wants is very small, maybe a few weeks old.. a snow cornsnake. if possible, are there any precautions we should take, even with feeding, etc? thanks alot

Old 08-07-2005, 05:00 PM   #2
~slither~
There's alot of people that will never house 2 corns together, regardless of age. There's also alot who will say they've done it with no problems.
A few reasons not to are if one regurges you wont know which it was, cannibalism is a rarity as far as I'm aware but not unheard of, unwanted breeding can occur and sometimes it may stress the snake to be around another snake all of the time. There's loads more cons, and not so many pros. Do a search of the forum for past posts, and then make you'r own mind up, as at the end of the day it is up to you. I'd also do a search for the word cannibalism, it put me off having two corns together.

Old 08-07-2005, 05:06 PM   #3
LowNFToy
thanks alot, sorry for posting a new message..im new here and didnt know how big of a forum this was but now I see theres loads of info, best site ive found so far for all of my questions. the reason i ask is just we had no idea there would be any cons, we figured it would just be cool 2 snakes living together. thanks for the help

does anyone here have first hand experience of housing 2 together?

Old 08-07-2005, 05:08 PM   #4
Animal_gal
I'm not an expert on things like this, but I do have a fairly solid base knowledge.

It would, of course, depend almost entirely on cage size and the snake's genders. I don't believe age difference or anything would present an issue.

Obviously you would want the snakes to be the same gender. If the gender of your year old snake has not been proven by probing means or anything else, I'd suggest making sure that it is the gender you currently believe it to be.
Then, naturally you would want to do the same with the new snake.

Caging requirements. You'll need several different hideout boxes and branches for climbing on. Try to make the cage as large and as comfortable as possible, and give the snakes a choice as to where they like to hide or climb. It's not just that though, be sure to give them a chance to get away from each other.

The MINIMUM size tank for an adult corn LIVING ALONE is 20 gallons (12L x 30W x 12H inches). You will definitely need something larger than that.

As I said, I'm hardly the expert at this as I do not house my snakes together. I might be wrong in the fact that a one year old can live with a fellow snake so young, or I may have made another stupid mistake of some sort, but it's a good base for you to work off of until someone more advanced who would be able to tell you more comes along.
Sorry.

Old 08-07-2005, 05:11 PM   #5
~slither~
I'd just like to add that if you do house two together, don't house two males together. They'll be fighting when it comes to breeding season, and you wouldn't want that would you. I don't know if the same goes for females though, sorry.

Old 08-07-2005, 05:15 PM   #6
CornCrazy
I recently donated a couple of corns to a teacher (one yearling and one hatchling). She thought she had 2 tanks for them, but realized one of the tanks was unacceptable. She decided to put them together overnight. Anyway, the next day after she bought a new tank and went to separate them, she found that the bigger one had eaten the little one.

I strongly advise against housing them together! Please do a search for housing together or cohabitation. You will find LOTS of information about this subject! Here is a post I made in another thread about the subject: http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...31&postcount=8

Old 08-07-2005, 05:15 PM   #7
Animal_gal
I thought that was just for males.

I'd say if the one he already has is a male, buy another male and then just put them in seperate cages come breeding season.
That might cause a bit of trauma and disorder in their lives though, changing cages like that.

I might go try to find out if two females would have any problems together.

Almost forgot about that.

Well, I'd say it's just a better overall choice to keep two snakes in two seperate cages. But if that's what you really want to do, it can be done.

Old 08-07-2005, 05:25 PM   #8
Joejr14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal_gal
I thought that was just for males.

I'd say if the one he already has is a male, buy another male and then just put them in seperate cages come breeding season.
That might cause a bit of trauma and disorder in their lives though, changing cages like that.

I might go try to find out if two females would have any problems together.

Almost forgot about that.

Well, I'd say it's just a better overall choice to keep two snakes in two seperate cages. But if that's what you really want to do, it can be done.

Males, females, it doesn't matter. Problems can happen if it's just female/female, male/male, or male/female.

Bad idea all around.

Old 08-07-2005, 05:26 PM   #9
NI GUY
Exclamation

I do keep my females of the same size together and have'nt had any problems but I know some ppl have.It down to the snake's but a larger snake has a good chance of eatting its tank mate.The larger tank may also stress out the smaller snake and cause you problems there to.

Old 08-07-2005, 05:36 PM   #10
Animal_gal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejr14
Males, females, it doesn't matter. Problems can happen if it's just female/female, male/male, or male/female.

Bad idea all around.

Okay, okay, I give up. You're right. I agree.
It's a bad idea, and I wouldn't do it.

But what would be wrong if you put two females in the same tank? Would they cause problems over something specific or just because they're in the same cage.
I mean, male/female equals a bunch of little baby corns, male/male means fighting during breeding season...
So I'm saying that if you had two females, wouldn't that at least cause less problems? Of course, there's no avoiding the fact that there will be problems, but couldn't you reduce them with two females?

I'm sorry. I'll just... shut up now.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google