CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Speculation regarding nutritional content

Old 08-21-2005, 04:49 PM   #1
coyote
Question Speculation regarding nutritional content

I'm just thinking here and decided to put my thoughts out for comment.
I have a tendency to latch onto subtleties and "worry" them for significance.

Now, the normal first food choice for hatchling cornsnakes is lizards. Is this correct? Assuming it is, small adult lizards are going to have a "mature" skeleton as opposed to that of altricial/pinkie rodents.

Does anyone, other than myself, think that the consequent available calcium difference might affect development? Does anyone supplement calcium in their hatchlings? Liquid calcium supplements can be had. It would be simple to add a drop into the mouth of a FT pink before feeding.

The reason I even bring this up is because #1. I am really interested in nutritional issues, and #2. Are there any confounding developmental issues that manifest in juvinile cornsnakes that might be related to the minutia of available calcium content in their food? Realizing that calcium is required for proper muscle and nerve function as well as development and maintenance of the skeleton.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Old 08-21-2005, 11:43 PM   #2
Jynx
I do not supplemnt my hatchlings. I would think that even just a drop of liquid calcium would be too concentrated for a hatchling, and could be very toxic. I do supplement all of my adult breeding females, and a male here or two as needed, but thats as far as I go.

I have noticed a definite deficiency in just over-all nutrition in anoles. Hatchlings that were problem eaters and fed anoles were generally smaller, underdeveloped, weak or skinny, and in some cases severely malnurished, even though they were on weekly eating schedules. Recently I aquired a problem feeder who was fed only anoles for I believe 3 or 4 months. I finally did get her to eat f/t pinkies (with much work) only to find out that she had a digestional/intestinal infection. My herp vet sees this occur quite often in these situations and that he believes the two are more than just "linked."

Old 08-21-2005, 11:54 PM   #3
drizzt_19
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
The reason I even bring this up is because #1. I am really interested in nutritional issues, and #2.

Maybe this link will interest you...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google