CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Shedding?

Old 08-22-2005, 07:38 AM   #1
viktoria333
Shedding?

Can anyone out there give me advice on what to look for when my hatchlings are going into shed.I've only had them a week and don't know what to expect or what.Can anyone help?My water dragon used to go brown before his skin fell off?Any info would much appreciated!Cheers!

Old 08-23-2005, 09:19 AM   #2
graffixcs
Shedding is typically an unmistakable event. Their eyes are noticeably milkier looking and their general appearance is duller, this is called the "blue phase". Then a day or so after this they appear to clear up, almost back to their typical look (often, not always). Then anywhere from 3 days to a week later they rub their nose to start the shedding process, typically at night as this is when most corns are active, but again, not always. Then in the morning you will find a fresh shed.

Note that all snakes shed, but all have their own habits of doing so, there is no "one routine" although it is in essence the same.

I suggest keeping a simple log book of "events". Just a date and when/what they ate, when you noticed them blue and when they shed is ample information. This will come in handy as time goes by. You will be able to predict an oncoming shed to within a few days in most cases. This log will also help explain a forgone meal for no "apparent" reason.

Everyone with multiple snakes will testify that all corns have their own routine slightly different from the others. Some will eat while blue, others flatly refuse anything to do with food, some hide, others carry on as normal etc etc. So there is no "this is what s/he WILL do, except that they will go blue, then rub to break the kin from the mouth/nose area.

I still find it fascinating to see their own personalities during this time, eg, 1 will have nothing to do with food 3 days prior to going blue, then still not eat for 3 days after shedding. Another will still eat at the peak of "blueness" when I'm sure it can barely see anything.

Old 08-24-2005, 05:39 AM   #3
viktoria333
Shedding and things!

Thanks for that, great stuff!I haven't noticed any "blue" sort of changes bout them, but will watch and wait.As for the record book,already done!The chap that bred them had kept a record of thier eating and shedding so i have carried this on.One of them shed a week after hatching,both had 3 meals,every 5 days,the third of which was the day i got them.So far they have not missed a meal.Thank god!Have been reading stuff on here bout live brained pinkies and force feeding and I'm absolutely certain I couldn't do the live feeding and in any case I've been led to believe that it is against the law to feed this way.If I am wrong then everyone will have to forgive me please!Am a very newbie when it comes to corns!But I am loving every second of it and already thinking bout getting some more when I am certain that my hatchlings are well established happy and secure!Got to persuade my partner though he's not that keen on pets in general,but then I do all the work with them!Cheers again!

Old 08-24-2005, 08:54 AM   #4
graffixcs
Just as a rough "guestimate" at that age they should shed in about 1 month intervals. Keep in mind this can vary, but at that age and that feeding rate should only vary by a few days. (just to give you some idea of when to expect it.

Shedding one week after hatching is typical. all corns will have their post hatch shed in about a week of entering the world. I did notice you said one shed a week after hatching, I certainly hope your second has already shed and was not written down.

Old 08-25-2005, 11:37 AM   #5
viktoria333
Smile Shedding!

I am going to try and find this out,both hatchlings are acting normally,Both ate again last night without any problems.Am looking now for an adult corn,no specific colour for my boys as i won't be letting them near my babies until they're robust and calm enough!Saying that they are both calming down nicely but I still want another one!I think I got the bug!Cheers!v

Old 08-31-2005, 12:04 PM   #6
viktoria333
Yes!It's finally happening!

Just to let everyone know I fed my babies two nights ago and left well alone till earlier.BOTH are "blue".My first shed,and am really looking forward to it!I have been soaking a piece of cork bark in boiling water for most of the afternoon, would this be ok to use for them to rub on? How long should I boil this cork for? Is there any other methods I could try? Should I expect a shed or two in the next few days?Am really looking forward to finding two little skins soon! cheers all!V

Old 08-31-2005, 12:51 PM   #7
graffixcs
Congrats on the pending sheds. Once the snakes go blue they may stay that way for a day or two, then they will clear up and may appear to have shed. They wont shed for anywhere from 3 days to a week, depending on the snake. # days is very quick and a week is not uncommon, so don't panic when you don't see a shed tomorrow. Let them do their thing, they know when it is time.

As for the cork, an hour is AMPLE time to kill any nasties that may be in it and won't hurt to add for them to rub against, however be aware that this may be a new item to them and may cause a little stress from the change in their world, so don't place it right on their favourite hide. Let them "discover" it in an area they may not use as regularly.

If you are concerned about the humidity a simple spray from an atomiser (spray) bottle of drinking quality water for the snakes is usually more than sufficient.

Hopefully in a few days you will discover a very thin, pale and still addition to your viv (the shed i mean).

Old 09-01-2005, 10:12 AM   #8
viktoria333
Talking Shedding!

No skins today,I'm afraid!I have soaked the bark over night,it had about fifteen changes of boiling water so it should be safe to use.I was planning to use this as a hide as is a small hollow log I can cut into two for both of them.I was going to replace thier cool hides with this bark because they don't have anything to start thier shed off.Nothing fairly rough,anyway.If I were to clean them and put the bark in,is it possible I could "interfere with the shedding process?By stressing them out?It seems to be a catch 22 situation here as at the moment they have toilet roll tubes and pringle box ends for thier respective hides and thier water bowls are the sort that you would use to feed mice with,nice round ceramic.Not much use for scratching on I would guess!Also because they are in fairly small containers I couldn't find any pieces of branch handy cos I live in the middle of town and don't drive!I have a good place I go to for rep supplies within ten minute walk which is very handy!What should I do?Cheers!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google