CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Diseases Transmitted by Corns

Old 08-31-2005, 11:49 AM   #1
Jessica1388
Question Diseases Transmitted by Corns

Does anyone know of any diseases corns can transmit to humans and dogs? Is it common? And is it really important to wash your hands everytime after you hold one? I'm a bit of a germ/clean freak so I was just curious.

Old 08-31-2005, 01:36 PM   #2
ashleynicole
i don't know about snakes, but i don know that small rodents (mice, rats, squirrels, rabits,) and birds harbor Toxoplasma Ghandi which causes toxoplasmosis (very bad for pregnant women) which is why they tell pregnant women not to come in contact with cat litter because cats get toxoplasmosis from eating birds and rodents and it is passed into their feces. Although if you have an indoor cat ONLY and you have them checked for toxoplasmosis, you don't have to worry about it (all my cats are indoor only and have been tested negative)

Anyway, i think there would be a similar risk of toxoplasmosis with snakes because they do eat rodents. However most rodents you buy are captive bread for ages so they SHOULD be parasite free right??? Still always a risk so a good rule of thumb is to wash your hands before and after handling

Of course, im a Nurse so i am a hypochondriac and im Obsessive compulsive about washing my hands.. LOL. So take my advice with a grain of salt, but i always wash my hands after handling.

Old 08-31-2005, 01:43 PM   #3
Roy Munson
Salmonella.

Old 09-01-2005, 10:11 AM   #4
Jessica1388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson
Salmonella.
How common is it that corns could transfer that? What would cause it?

Old 09-01-2005, 01:22 PM   #5
ashleynicole
all reptiles run a risk for Salmonella if i am correct... but i too am curious as to how common it is... especially in an capitive bread and kept reptile.. how would they pick something like that up?

Old 09-01-2005, 01:54 PM   #6
Roy Munson
I did a search on this very 'health issues...' forum. Here was just one of the many threads that were listed:

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...ght=salmonella

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google