CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

can pinkies be refrozen!?

Old 09-06-2005, 11:30 AM   #1
laura & dave
can pinkies be refrozen!?

hi there!

im new to this borad, bought a male Snow Corn on sunday, hes great! hes a little baby.

i have been told that he needs feeding every wednesday 1 pinky a week, i live a fair way from any pet stores and was wondering if they defrosted could i refreeze them?

lets pray he eats

and i read on the site that defrosting in warm water is good

Old 09-06-2005, 11:47 AM   #2
breedingcolors
Welcome to the forum.

Yes you can refreeze it but it is better to do it only one time. If it is a baby, you can feed it every 5-7 days. You can buy more than one mouse and keep them in your freezer so you will not have to go every week. You can bring an icepak with you when you go to your petshop so the mice stay frozen until you get home.

Warm water is perfect to defrost them. And if you can, make 4 tinny cuts with an exacto on the back of the mouse when it is thaugh before giving it to the snake. It will help the snake to better assimilate the mouse.

Good Luck and don't hesitate if you have other questions.

Old 09-06-2005, 11:50 AM   #3
cornnewb2005
Welcome

Welcome to the forum

I'm new myself, but as far as i know it is safe to refreeze a pinky, just not iver and over again. If your to far from the pet store there are a few places online that you can buy frozen mice....some of them are in bulks of 100, or 50. That might be a little much just for one, but I hope it helps.
Good luck with your new addition

Old 09-06-2005, 11:50 AM   #4
laura & dave
excellent thankyou for your help. my partners mum is picking me up 4 today, so i will keep them in the freezer when i get them, looking forward to his first feeding!

can i ask is an exacto a form of knife/surgical blade
Thanks

Old 09-06-2005, 12:25 PM   #5
breedingcolors
Sorry, an exacto is a knife with blades that you can buy at any home depot. You can cut a lot of thing with that.

http://www.store.yahoo.com/olfablade...---blades.html

Here is a link for you to see some examples.

Good Luck!

Old 09-06-2005, 12:37 PM   #6
Serpwidgets
Or you can cut with scissors.

Old 09-06-2005, 05:29 PM   #7
Palidrafod
GREAT FREAKIN QUESTION!!! Why do I say that.....cuz I came on here today to ask the EXACT question.....just got 2 newer guys n went to try n feed em n both were stubborn, I had already refroze the pinkies, but was checking prior to feeding them.....

thanks for the input guys!!

BTW Im newer as well, but welcome to the board!!

Old 09-06-2005, 06:32 PM   #8
Hurley
About the most refreezing does is break down some of the proteins and other nutrients, potentially making the pinky a little less nutritious, but I will warn you, a thawed, refrozen, thawed pinky becomes very friable/fragile/easy to have the abdomen burst open. Just a warning. It won't harm the snake unless it was left long enough before refreezing to start to smell.

Old 09-07-2005, 04:34 AM   #9
laura & dave
ah yes, we can them stanley knifes in england

i fed my snake this morning before leaving for work, at first he seemed to not want it, but eventually he sat at the back of his viv, and slowly opened his mouth and ate it, took him a while but it all went down which im happy about

i put the pinky in warm water to warm it up a bit, and it smells so much. i got the fresh, my partners mum froze them, by the time i got home from picking them up they defrosted so i cleaned them up, and refroze them. left one out to thaw overnight.

didnt realise how much they smell hehe

Old 09-07-2005, 05:29 AM   #10
traf2006
Thumbs up

a pinkie only takes about an hour to defrost, and in warm water it takes about 10 mins, dont leave it out over night thats why it started to smell bad. and i would advise that you dont feed you snake in it's viv get another tub to feed him in, as he will associate that tub with food and not his viv so he will not try to bite your hand when your picking him up out of his viv, and if he get's put in a diff tub to get fed he will know when it's feeding time.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google