CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Blood coming from vent?

Old 09-22-2005, 10:09 PM   #1
SnakeLuvrs
Blood coming from vent?

We just took out our 4 year old Anery Female and she started to open her vent and we thought she was going to go to the bathroom so we held her over the sink (which has been done before) she closed her vent and there was a small amount of "clearish red liquid" that came out and there were some tiny red "specks" just under her vent...is this something to be concerned about? Is it blood? She was fed two mice the night of the 19th which was a small meal for her because we were out of rat pups. We don't remember cleaning any poop from her cage since her last feeding but are not positive. Any information would be helpful...we will probably take her to our local herp anyways just to have him take a look at her but any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Old 09-23-2005, 02:28 AM   #2
danvega
From the symptoms you described, your snake may be infected with any of the following parasites: Amebiasis, Trichomoniasis, or mites. The first two are internal parasites which could cause the bleeding from the vent, yet blood contained in the feces would be a more common symptom. The last parasite, mites, is what I am leaning more towards.

Mites can be black, brown, or red, and look like what you described as "red specks". They can cause bleeding, and bleeding would be more probable if the mites decided to camp out in your snake's vent.

My advice is to soak your snake in tepid (warm) water for an hour or two. If they are mites, the mites will begin to fall off from this bath. You can then look at these red specks with a magnifying glass, to make a certain identification.

If this is the case, your snake will need to be treated with mite removal medication (otc at most petstores), because the mites would have laid hundreds of eggs on your snake. In addition, you will need to clean and disinfect the tank and accessories, while also changing out the substrate with new substrate.

Hopefully (I wish your snake did not have this problem, but), mites is the case, because the other parasites that I mentioned will need veterinary attention and these parasites can be fatal to the snake, not to mention a nice bill from the vet. Hope this helps.

Old 09-23-2005, 08:34 AM   #3
SnakeLuvrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by danvega
From the symptoms you described, your snake may be infected with any of the following parasites: Amebiasis, Trichomoniasis, or mites. The first two are internal parasites which could cause the bleeding from the vent, yet blood contained in the feces would be a more common symptom. The last parasite, mites, is what I am leaning more towards.

Mites can be black, brown, or red, and look like what you described as "red specks". They can cause bleeding, and bleeding would be more probable if the mites decided to camp out in your snake's vent.

My advice is to soak your snake in tepid (warm) water for an hour or two. If they are mites, the mites will begin to fall off from this bath. You can then look at these red specks with a magnifying glass, to make a certain identification.

If this is the case, your snake will need to be treated with mite removal medication (otc at most petstores), because the mites would have laid hundreds of eggs on your snake. In addition, you will need to clean and disinfect the tank and accessories, while also changing out the substrate with new substrate.

Hopefully (I wish your snake did not have this problem, but), mites is the case, because the other parasites that I mentioned will need veterinary attention and these parasites can be fatal to the snake, not to mention a nice bill from the vet. Hope this helps.

She did poop after i soaked her in warm water. no blood in her stool...
The "red specks" as my husband put it isnt accurate. it was like spotted blood (not as thick as blood, but red) and as she closed her vent you could tell it was liquid by the way it dispersed, like pushing a drop of blood betwen two glass slides... then dissapeared shortly after she closed it. Although she is still acting different so we will be bringing her to a herpologist we know and trust. thank you for the suggestions... we will inquire about them

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google