CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Dead Babies

Old 09-03-2002, 08:57 AM   #1
VICTORY
Dead Babies

I lost two babies this weekend. One Saturday & one this morning. The first one, the Miami was very active. Always active at dusk. Saturday when I awoke it was dead. Upside down. It hadn eaten once since I got it, it looked hydrated and was very active. Any suggestions? Needless to say I'd like to get another one. Then this morning I lost another one. Although this ones skin looked very loose on the body. It ate since I had gotten it but it showed no growth. It was drinking also, I physically watched it drink. Then this morning it flipped the first half of its body upside down and died. Any help or suggestions?? I was a Burm guy before these corns. I need help please. Brief synapses: Feeding frozen thawed pinkies to those that will eat. The baby Zag Charcoal, Ghost, Crimson, & Okeetee will not eat. Trying every seven days. Replacing water every morning & nite. Housing all of them in a 55 gallon aquarium with fir bark substrate with undertank heater. Plenty of hides. I'm just getting frustrated and need some guidance.

Old 09-03-2002, 09:58 AM   #2
Khaman
I don't know what to tell you about the dead ones but what meathods have to tried to get the others to eat, I find scenting them with lizards and tease feeding to work for me.

Old 09-03-2002, 10:08 AM   #3
Neil
It's very possible that they are stressed because they are being housed in a large group and in a very large tank. If you have any ice-cream tubs lying around I would line some up along a heat strip and house each corn separately until they are feeding well and look nice and healthy.

Old 09-03-2002, 10:14 AM   #4
VICTORY
Thank you Khaman & Neil.
I guess I'll have to try housing separately until feeding well.

Old 09-03-2002, 10:24 AM   #5
Alicia
Shoe box size Rubbermaid or Sterilite boxes work well for housing hatchlings. They are inexpensive and can be purchased at most Wal Marts and like stores.

Sorry about the loss of your babies

Old 09-03-2002, 10:29 AM   #6
VICTORY
Where do I find heat tape? Not UTH. I guess I'll house them seperately until they're big enough.
Thanks,
Ken

Old 09-03-2002, 10:45 AM   #7
bmm
hello

You could use a heating pad as well! Just put partial parts of their little homes on it. You could easily put 4 on each one.

Don't worry about size, if they are hatchlings keep them in ice cream tubs until they eat. It might seem like zero room for them but they like this.

Another good reason to seperate them is in case the ones who died could have something that can be passed. Hopefully not though since by now they would all have it! Just another reason to keep them alone!

good luck
bmm

Old 09-03-2002, 10:49 AM   #8
Reptiles=3
IMHO housing them all communally could also have transmitted some diesease that one of them had and now they may be dropping off like flies. Another reason is they could be stressed not only by all having to live with each other, but also all in a 55 gal. which is quite large could have also stressed them out. I would suggest that you separate them and get them all feeding. Another thing about feeding is to not feed all of them at the same time in that large tank, feed each of them in a seperate container. Hope this helps!! and sorry for your loss.

Old 09-03-2002, 10:54 AM   #9
VICTORY
They're all from reputable breeders. Rich, Don, Kathy. So I'm not to worried about disease. I am feeding them in their deli cups not in the large tank. Thanks everyone.

Old 09-03-2002, 10:59 AM   #10
Alicia
Quote:
Originally posted by VICTORY
Where do I find heat tape? Not UTH. I guess I'll house them seperately until they're big enough.
Thanks,
Ken
bigappleherp.com carries heat tape. Type in flexwatt heat tape on your search page and it will give you others that carry it also.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google