CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

handling problems

Old 10-21-2005, 04:20 PM   #1
1_and_only
handling problems

whenever i go to handle my snake she shoots of very fast and goes and hides under the substrate, then i wont see her for ages. could anyone explain why this is? i must admit i dont know an awfull lot about snakes (jus the basics) but the viv is set up perfect with the right substrate. she seems so moody. one last thing she is a snow corn (pink/white+green squares on the underneath) will its eyes turn blue before it sheds?

Old 10-21-2005, 04:48 PM   #2
Repto-Girl
First of all how old is the snake? If he/she is a hatchling then that's typical of them. How long have you had him/her? They get scared, of course I would too if I saw a giant coming at me. ( that's what we look like to them) After a while your snake will get used to you handling him. And it will understand that your not going to eat him. Just hold him for short periods of time several times a day and he'll get over that stuff pretty quickly.
Hope this helps.

Old 10-21-2005, 05:11 PM   #3
1_and_only
im really not sure how old it is i bought it of someone who didnt have a clue what they were doin. it is about 25inches long (2ft).how old would u say this is? do u know what its eyes will do before it sheds? thanks for the help

Old 10-21-2005, 05:46 PM   #4
zwyatt
If it is really 2 feet long, then it is not a very recent hatchling. I can't give an exact age. It could even be up to a year old or so depending on how much the previous owner fed it (or how well it eats).
If the previous owner didn't handle her much she could still be flighty when you go to handle her. After awhile that will probably start to go away if you handle her on a regular basis. Just be patient and persistent. My snow was like that when I got her back in April and now she rarely tries to escape when I go to get her out.
Her eyes will get cloudy when she is going into shed, but it can be easy to miss with a snow if you are new to them. I had trouble seeing it the first time, but now I can see it rather easily.

Old 10-21-2005, 08:14 PM   #5
Repto-Girl
I'd say 2 yrs at least. OR a very large yearling.MY yearling has been fed well and isn't that big yet. Need a pic for a better GUESS.
with the snows, like ZWYATT said it is sometimes difficult to tell when they will shed. MY brother's snow's eyes will get off color, kind of whitish. cause her eyes are normally pinkish. Only my snakes with dark eyes get a blue look. The rest with red/pink eyes get the white look, off color pink look.
Hope this helps.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google