CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

What Substrate/Bedding Do You Suggest?

Old 11-19-2005, 03:42 PM   #1
snake_eyes
What Substrate/Bedding Do You Suggest?

hey, im new here and i tried looking around for this topic but to no avail. so i started this thread, so dont be mad if its been covered.

i have an adult corn snake and was wondering what substrate do you suggest. ive read that Aspen is good and that Pine is bad, but then on other places have read that Aspen is bad but Pine is good, and on other places have read that both pine and aspen are bad, and on one place read that both are good...you see my dilemma? :

i was going to pick up some Cypress mulch stuff because i want a natural and more appealing look. i think it was by ZooMed. it advertised "good for humid environments as it can be dried or wet for desired reults" and "specially treated to prevent mold and mildew".

so what do you guys suggest i get and what do you suggest i stay away from?

thanks

Old 11-19-2005, 03:47 PM   #2
PtDnsr
Personally I like aspen. We've used the Eco Earth stuff before and it turned my ghost's belly colors and I didn't like it as well. Aspen is easy to find, easy to clean and the snakes can burrow and create tunnels in it.

~Katie

Old 11-19-2005, 03:51 PM   #3
snake_eyes
well aspen is what i use now. but i want a more "natural" look that gives some color and "depth" to its habitat. my corn is red so a colored belly wont be an issue for me.

i was looking at that Eco Earth stuff too...was it bark chips? i was thinking of picking this stuff up but it looked a little odd an "unnatural" to me. i was opting for that cypress stuff but on tha back it had a list of reptiles and which substrate is compatible with certain reptiles. i saw that tha Cypress scored a "good" while Aspen scored an "excellent".

i was just wondering what youre guys' sentiments on this are.

Old 11-19-2005, 04:48 PM   #4
shrimply
There are loads of different choices but DO NOT USE PINE OR CEDAR
My favourites are beech chips and aspen.

Old 11-19-2005, 04:50 PM   #5
snake_eyes
are cedar and pine bad because they can promote respiratory problems?

Old 11-19-2005, 04:59 PM   #6
shrimply
Yeah i think so. Pine also gives off a lot of oils. I really don't know all the ins and outs of it but is important not to use them.

Old 11-19-2005, 06:08 PM   #7
snake_eyes
i was going to purchase this: http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...=1132441608835

but i thought id wait on your guys' thoughts. it seems like a good product, but if i do get it, im not sure if i should dry it a little so that there wont be too much humidity and condesnation.

Old 11-19-2005, 06:13 PM   #8
corns are cool
i uese repti bark

Old 11-19-2005, 07:17 PM   #9
manog
sani chips work really well for me. Small chips so it enables the snake to really dig in it and it works great for creating sort of a kitty litter effect for the waste. I really like it and it is cheap. My snake's previous owner used bark, when i put the sani chips in they went crazy, digging and hiding in it.

Old 11-19-2005, 08:28 PM   #10
BeckyG
I use Eco Earth for all my snakes and have not noticed it turning any of them colors, not even my snow. It is made from shredded coconut fiber, and I really like it because it looks like dirt. Here is what it looks like in my tank:

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google