• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

how long is a 5-6 month old?

tclegacy

Hi,

I'm new to corns and am planning on getting a baby soon. I was just wondering about length... How long is say, a 5-6 month old? I'd like to start small so I can see the growth process over the months, and I wasn't sure how young to start.. Thanks!

tclegacy

tclegacy said:
Hi,

I'm new to corns and am planning on getting a baby soon. I was just wondering about length... How long is say, a 5-6 month old? I'd like to start small so I can see the growth process over the months, and I wasn't sure how young to start.. Thanks!

tclegacy

At hatching, they're about 9"-14". There are a bazillion variables that affect growth after that, so it's really hard to say. If you get one under two feet in length, and take care of it properly, you'll see a satisfying degree of development over time. Hope this helps. :)

tclegacy said:
Hi,

tclegacy

The lenght vary with each snake, could be 12 to 20 inches. It depends on alot of variables. Feeding, genetics, health etc. so if you looking to see the grow of a snake just get a hatchling. There are a lot of breeder on this site that will you find the right one. Just search the forum. And here a few links to read too.
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28341
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28342

Good Luck :cheers:

Just to show how growth does vary snake to snake, My Amel is a July 05 hatchling, he was 12" and a month old when I purchased him.
By 6 months he was at 23" long.

I feed just as anyone else does, when he ate pinkies I feed him every 5 days, when I moved up to fuzzies I switched to every 6 days, now he is on small mice and I feed him every 7 days.

Phinius Aug 05 - 1 month old 12" long
Finius0001b.jpg

Phinius Jan 05 - 6 months old 23" long
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/silentlore/Phin2_060005.jpg

Sorry messed the previous Post up ;( (TAKE 2) ;)

Just to show how growth does vary snake to snake, My Amel is a July 05 hatchling, he was 12" and a month old when I purchased him.
By 6 months he was at 23" long.

I feed just as anyone else does, when he ate pinkies I feed him every 5 days, when I moved up to fuzzies I switched to every 6 days, now he is on small mice and I feed him every 7 days.

Phinius Aug 05 - 1 month old 12" long
Finius0001b.jpg

Phinius Jan 05 - 6 months old 23" long
Phin2_060005.jpg

I think amels as a rule seem to grow rather quickly. My amel grew fast as well and at almost 3 is almost 4 ft. long and a hefty 610 grams.

thats bazarre, i have an anery thats probably 14-16 inches and isn't big at all but then a snow the same age thats' almost two feet long; i mean its head is twice as big.

My snake is about six months old and 20" but its width is not as thick as that in the photo. Is mine underfed?

I would think the general meaning of all the above post is that all snakes grow at their own rate so there is no true yes or no answer to your question.

But .. we could help you on what size and how much.....
What size do you feed your snake and how often???

Length

Lore, that's a gorgeous Amel!

My daughter's '05 Okeetee of the same age is 19". She's been on fuzzies for 2 weeks. Tomorrow will be her third one.

Thanks! He's my pride and joy... well... after my 4 kids of course! LOL! ;)

Course I look foward to watching my new ghost grow too.

Louri...

Nice website! Halloween quads, huh?? Zowie! You've got your hands full... and you STILL have time for snakes?? Bless you!

Yep ;) While my kids nap I handle my corns and find it so relaxing :cool: I talk to them and the new dog, they are my company while the kids sleep... yep.. I hate to be alone... or I just MAY be crazy ;) :crazy02:

As the others have said I think it varies from snake to snake, husbandry and feeding practices. My snow is just under 2', about a nickel in diameter and aprx 8mo. The Lavender and Ghost females I just had delivered on V-Day :) are 5 1/2 months and super tiny. They are aprx 8" and like shoestrings. I was quite shocked at their size so inquired about this with the breeder. Turns out they were brumated for 3 out of the 5 months since hatching. Both gobbled up the nb pinkies I gave them for their first feeding with me and will surely gain some growth soon. Depending on conditions I believe they experience "spurts" as well. Ivory gained 6" in under 3mo!

:wavey: Good luck to you and no matter the size they are when you get em' as long as they eat for ya they should thrive. Keep asking questions of these folks on the forum and follow the advice you are given as it applies!

Why in the world would a breeder brumated hatchlings???? There's absolutely no reason for it!! Most snakes I've found start to really grow once you get them on something more than pinkies. I was in my local pet shop yesterday talking with the worker there and I had one of my corns with me. There were a few people there that were checking her out and one guy's son had one. He said it was 3 years old and only about 24" long. They were still feeding fuzzies. I asked how often they fed, and they said weekly. Kind of wierd, but I guess slow growers are out there.

I hve only had my snake for one week and fed it one fuzzy on the first day and 2 pinkies a week later.

And is it just me, or do most amenalistic corns remain quite small.

I'd say the opposite is true. A lot of people have posted really large amels on here. My amel by far is the largest snake in my collection, reaching nearly 4 ft. at almost 3 yrs. of age and a hefty 640 grams.

Back