CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Feeding Fuzzies

Old 03-25-2002, 10:54 AM   #1
pauljordanuk
Question Feeding Fuzzies

Hi All,

I have a 3-4 month old Okeetee Corn. How do you know when to start feeding fuzzies. I know that most sources of info state that food item should be about 1 1/2 thickest part of body. Well this okeetee body is about this size, but takes ages to digest the fuzzie (approx 3-4 days & temperatures are fine). Does anyone know why its taking so long for Okeetee to digest. The snake has never had any feeding problems and takes food freely. Or should I revert back to pinkies, if so how many is sufficient ?? When feeding 2/3 pinkies the snake takes 2 days (ave.) to digest.

Thanks.

Old 03-25-2002, 01:55 PM   #2
sue frederick
feeding fuzzies

The only problem with it taking longer to digest fuzzies is that you may get messy while holding him if you don't wait until after he defecates. It takes longer because there is more mass to a fuzzy than two pinkies. If you don't want to end up with a "pinhead" corn snake (that is where the head seems too small to go with the body), you need to increase the size of the food item when appropriate. As he gets bigger, the fuzzies will digest faster, though.
sue frederick

Old 03-25-2002, 02:43 PM   #3
pauljordanuk
Fuzzies Vs Pinkies

So what age do you think that you should start with fuzzies is 3/4 months the average age ??

Old 03-25-2002, 04:53 PM   #4
sue frederick
feeding fuzzies

Actually age doesn't really have anything to do with it, it is the width of the snake that does. If it looks like his belly is big enough to hold a fuzzy, that is when you switch. Or try to switch, if he cannot swallow it or if he regurges, then you go back to pinkies.
sue frederick

Old 02-02-2005, 10:45 PM   #5
oreo1700
keep going with the fuzzies. feed it one every 5 or 6 days and when it starts digesting faster give either another fuzzie, a bigger one, or more often.

Old 02-02-2005, 11:43 PM   #6
JTGoff69
I have 2 almost 6 mo old corns who are eating 2 lg pinkies as opposed to fuzzies. It's a big jump in size, and if you can aquire "peach" fuzzies, you might have more sucess. I've got 2 others the same age who are eating these and having no problems at all, but the two that are on lg pinks take quite awhile to ingest them and their heads aren't quite as big as the others. Corns grow at different rates, so you just have to go with whatever size your snake prefers.

Old 02-03-2005, 08:37 AM   #7
KatieL
Is this a 3 year old thread too??? Is my computer seriously out of whack or what??? mildly confused...

Old 02-03-2005, 12:04 PM   #8
JTGoff69
Dang Katie, you're right! Who keeps bringing them back up??

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google