CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

chicken eggs?

Old 11-26-2006, 04:16 PM   #1
kh1116
chicken eggs?

is it okay to feed a corn snake of the right size a chicken egg?

Old 11-26-2006, 04:20 PM   #2
Paradox
No. Some snakes are specifically 'Designed' (For want of a better word) to eat eggs. Corn's are not. Stick to mice.

Old 11-26-2006, 04:24 PM   #3
kh1116
cant you could feed corn snakes quail eggs?

Old 11-26-2006, 04:31 PM   #4
kh1116
"Many snakes will eat prey that is just placed in the tank. Occasionally, a quail egg can be offered to wild-caught specimens. If the snake likes it, one can be offered every couple of weeks. (Since quail eggs purchased in stores or from hatcheries are unlikely to be fertilized, they should not form a regular part of the main diet.) "

http://www.anapsid.org/corn.html

Old 11-26-2006, 04:46 PM   #5
Arcanefate
For one, captive bred corn snakes no longer have the same instincts to feed that wild ones do. Many will only eat a specific kind of prey (mice). Some will even starve themselves to death when there is no availability of that prey item. True, some snakes will only accept live mice rather than prekilled, but the instinct is still strong for rodent prey.

Second, it can be very unhealthy and even dangerous to try and feed eggs to a corn snake. The snakes that do readily eat eggs have a specific tooth like structure in the back of their throats to break open the egg as it is being swallowed. The shell itself cannot be digested. So now you have two problems. The corn snake cannot break open the shell to get to what is inside and may become blocked by trying to pass a complete shell. The other major problem is that like I said, shells are not digestable. Even if you managed to crack open the egg before giving it to the snake it would have to regurgitate the broken pieces of shell. Regurgitation is not something that you want to purposely cause a corn snake to do.

Go to the Reptiles Magazine website. About two or three issues ago there was an article on egg eating snakes and how they are specifically made to eat such items. It also explains how it is extremely difficult and unhealthy to give eggs to any other species.

Old 11-26-2006, 06:44 PM   #6
BeckyG
Quote:
Originally Posted by kh1116
is it okay to feed a corn snake of the right size a chicken egg?
No, it is not ok. Just stick to mice.

Old 11-27-2006, 05:37 PM   #7
attackturtle
I searched around just to know about it a few months ago. From what I did find, sometimes quail eggs can be offered.

I think chicken eggs are a very bad idea. Chickens eggs you often find at the grocery are a product of chickens bred to have eggs that are harder then they really need to be normally so that more survive shipping. The egg might not break or if/when the egg did break, the leftover shell might cause problems.

Old 11-27-2006, 06:36 PM   #8
kh1116
so have you ever fed any of your snakes quail eggs?

Old 11-27-2006, 06:39 PM   #9
kh1116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanefate
Second, it can be very unhealthy and even dangerous to try and feed eggs to a corn snake. The snakes that do readily eat eggs have a specific tooth like structure in the back of their throats to break open the egg as it is being swallowed.
the article that i showed you was care for corn snakes, not snakes in general.

Old 11-27-2006, 07:13 PM   #10
tom e
Petco is selling a book that recommends the feeding of chicken eggs (fertilized) and baby chicks... interesting. But in the same chapter it says never to feed anything to your snake that's 1.5 times bigger that it's NECK!

I'll post later the author's name, but frankly this whole dang book seems suspect to me..

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google