CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

URGENT - 2 babies, 1 bit the other, 1 injured!

Old 08-09-2007, 10:06 PM   #1
psysquad
URGENT - 2 babies, 1 bit the other, 1 injured!

After 2 baby corn snakes were fead, we put the 2 back into their tank. (they are housed together, and by the way, we are snake-sitting, these are not OURS!!!) after about 1 minute, I turned around and noticed 1 baby ripping the other about 1" below the head. The skin scene to be torn about 3/4 of an inch, but after I separated the 2, the wound was about 1/4 of an inch. The injured one seems fine and they are currently seperated. What should I do for the next 3 weeks while the currently injured snake goes on about its daily life? We have flushed the wound out with water and it does seem fine. Thanks for your time.

- Psysquad

Old 08-09-2007, 10:10 PM   #2
Cat_Eyed_Lady
all I can say is to keep them seperated obviously.... but there are others that will be coming on (I hope) that will be able to help you as to what you can put on the wound to try to help it heal and to try to keep out infection.

How big are they?? little guys or bigger ones??

Old 08-10-2007, 06:54 AM   #3
Susan
The injured snake should be seen by a vet. The wound could get infected. Is there any way to contact the owners to ask what they want done?

Old 08-10-2007, 08:40 AM   #4
Kevin McRae
Can you take pics? I have a hard time believing a cornsnake can make a wound like that.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:58 AM   #5
Flagg
If nothing else, you can put some neosporin on the wound to try to prevent infection.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:31 PM   #6
psysquad
they are babies, about 1/2" thickness at the largest part, and about 1 foot long. I would take better pictures, but he's all curled up right now. The wound looks like a piece of his skin, about 1/4" round has been ripped and the substrate it in it. I tried rinsing it out and wiping it. I called the vet that I usually take my Bearded Dragon to but they were closed so I took it to my other vet (not a reptile vet) and he said to rinse it and put polysporin on it and antibiotics, and that going to the reptile vet would be pointless and expensive. Heres the picture I got of the snake..

It's the brown spot right below his head.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:26 PM   #7
Thoth
I'm sorry! I can't really help about the wound, but I have a concern. You said it happened after they ate, and then you separated them. Since they've both just eaten, it's critical they can both warm up enough to digest their food. Did you separate them in such a way that they can both still get to someplace warm? Also, how soon after they ate did you put them back? Their feeding response, from what I've read, continues for about 15-20 minutes after they've swallowed the mouse. So if you put them back together immediately after eating, the aggressor probably just smelled mouse on the other and thought it was a second course. Good luck!

Old 08-10-2007, 02:44 PM   #8
psysquad
ok well, when the owners left, they showed me how they normally feed the snakes. I've never had a snake before so maybe they feed them wrong..I was told to take them out of the tank and feed them in separate containers.. anyway after the pinky was like 1/3 of the way down its body i put them back, just like how he said to. And, after a minute I seen one was severely biting the other one so i separated them and took the injured one to the vet, and now its in a separate enclosure...as far as lighting or heat...they have no lights or anything on any of their tanks so yah..i dont know how they would warm up anyway? i should really read about snakes..my job was just to feed them.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:59 PM   #9
Cat_Eyed_Lady
I am so sorry that such incompetent owners left their snakes in your care. Each snake should have its own viv... and yes feed in seperate containers but they also need some kind of heat... hot end about 80-84 and cool end about 70-75 ... they need to digest otherwise they may throw up their food and thats a whole new mess Do you have any idea what the temps they are in now??

Old 08-10-2007, 02:59 PM   #10
psysquad
ok so from what ive been reading, the enclosure is heated with a reptile heat pad under the tank...would it be better to put the snake back in with the other one, or but another heat pad and keep them separated? are corn snakes usually housed together?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google