CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

weird skin problem....help!

Old 10-25-2007, 08:53 AM   #1
lil bear
Question weird skin problem....help!

Hi,

wonder if anyone can help me.
I have noticed that my corn snake has dry, white looking skin between the scales on his head, a bit of his neck, and on and around his eyes. I don't know if this is an abnormal shed. His bed isn't particularly damp/moist, so I don't know if it could be a fungal infection. It looks a bit like limescale.
I spoke to the guy I bought him from, and he said that's what it could be, but I hardly ever see my snale in his water bowl.

I don't know if it is limescale, and he just needs a bit of a wash, and wait for his next shed (which I think should be soon), or if it's something more serious.

Has anyone experienced something like this with their snake?

Help!

Thank you,

Lil Bear.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:39 AM   #2
Double het
Sounds like your corn is ready to shed. I see this in my corns as well just before they shed.

Though i must admin i've never heard of limescale. I'd say watch till he sheds and see if it's gone.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:55 AM   #3
jub_jub_bird
Have you checked for mites? just a thought but i have noticed a similar thing on snakes which have a mite infestation...

could you post a picture at all?

I cant say i have ever heard of limescale affecting a snake - your water would have to be pretty hard!
If in doubt you could take it to a decent reptile shop or a good vet to get it checked over.
Kat

Old 10-25-2007, 04:52 PM   #4
Lennycorn
Someone as posted before about "flakes" on the snakes head. and this was just before it sheded.
What's the humimity level in the Viv??

Old 10-25-2007, 06:28 PM   #5
diamondlil
Quote:
Originally Posted by jub_jub_bird View Post
Have you checked for mites? just a thought but i have noticed a similar thing on snakes which have a mite infestation...

could you post a picture at all?

I cant say i have ever heard of limescale affecting a snake - your water would have to be pretty hard!
If in doubt you could take it to a decent reptile shop or a good vet to get it checked over.
Kat
I had the same symptoms when my (sadly missed) MBK had mites, as he was jet black I couldn't see any mites, but the white flakes were mite excrement

Old 10-25-2007, 08:08 PM   #6
tom e
Look around his eyes and in the crevices under the chin for little black dots.. Sometimes you won't see them but individual small scales would appear lifted like there is something under them.. Those would be mites.
A snake which has them would probably be seen often soaking in the water bowl to try and drown them.
Also check the water bowl for little black dots, sunk or floating...

This might be an easy thing to rule out I would guess.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:19 AM   #7
lil bear
Thank you all for your advice. My snake shed on Friday and all the white seems to be gone. The scales on his head are a bit dull, but he seems otherwise ok

Lil Bear

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google