CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Little guy just won't eat...!

Old 12-04-2007, 06:06 PM   #1
jvp1
Little guy just won't eat...!

Hi all,

About 3 weeks ago I bought a 1 month old Oketee Corn, who according to the breeder, was eating pinkies no problem, and had last eaten roughly four days after I bought him. A few days later I tried feeding him and he refused; I tried again the next day and again after that (using a variety of methods - 'braining', cutting them into bits, etc). I tried putting him into a separate container but, unfortunately, I forgot to put the container into his tank - he escaped. I found him again earlier today (he had been missing for roughly two weeks!) - I was worried he might be slightly injured (he got slightly caught up in tape ) but he looks fine from examination.

But he's skinnier and still won't eat. As an improvement, he actually struck at the pinkie I tried feeding to him but he didn't do anything after that. I cut up the pinkie, brained it, and put it into a container, put the snake into the container, and put the container into his aquarium (half of it on the hot side, other half on cold) and put a towel over it (the container). I turned off the lights and left the room - it's fairly silent so he won't be disturbed, but he's getting skinnier and sometimes when I tried feeding him he'd actually seem scared of the pinkie. I got the smallest ones I could, but they're still slightly larger than him (now, even moreso since he shrank ). Does anyone have any advice? I'm starting to get really worried for the little guy... I can provide any more information anyone needs, but everything is right (he loves his aquarium, temp/humidity is perfect, he's got water, plenty of hides). Is this just a case of him being a little squeamish?? I'll check tonight and again tomorrow to see if he's eaten and update ya'll, but any advice would be greatly appreciated. He likes me too (or so it would seem), and to clarify he is 7 weeks old and apparently HAS eaten pinkies before.

Thanks,
James

Old 12-04-2007, 07:43 PM   #2
susang
First off his condtions were not perfect(temo, humidty...) if he escaped and was out for 2 weeks just coming back today.
I would treat him as if you just got him; let him be alone for a few days, just changing water and not holding him. Then in about 4 days I would put him in feeding tub (this should have a lid so he can't get out AND air hoes) with pinkie, leave him alone, even put the tub in his viv. Don't look, don't bother him. Give him all night if necessary to eat the pink. If he still hasn't eaten wait 4-5 days and do this again, you might brain, slit or scent (although scenting would be last choice). I think you were over zealous when you first got him with feeding attempts day after day, give him some space. hope this helps, susang

Old 12-04-2007, 07:49 PM   #3
MerlinsPop
Agree with Susan. Give him time to unfreak first and get comfortable in his home. Then try to feed him. Make sure hes got fresh water.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:14 PM   #4
jvp1
Thanks for the advice, maybe I went a little overboard today, but I missed the little guy and it's been 3+ weeks since he's eaten, apparently. I'll have to take it easy.

J

Old 12-05-2007, 11:32 PM   #5
jvp1
He ended up eating and looks fine; he's in his favourite hide and I'm hoping for the best.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:34 PM   #6
Rich in KY
Congrats! It is very worrisome when they won't eat. I hope he continues to eat for you.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google