CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Scales turning white?

Old 05-05-2008, 10:27 PM   #1
ArpeggioAngel
Scales turning white?

Joe asked me to post this since the photos were taken on my camera....

This is Veyne - she is Joe's '06 female hypo-bloodred.
She has always had a nice rich coloration, but Joe noticed today when he took her out that some of her dorsal scales near her neck seem to be turning white. When he first showed her to me - I thought she had lost some scales somehow - but upon closer inspection - the scales are still there - but they are now white. And it isn't just one or two - it is an entire area of scales.

Has anyone seen this happen before? And if so, any idea what would cause it? If no one has seen it - any idea what may be happening here?

I outlined the area in question...

Old 05-05-2008, 10:39 PM   #2
crackerhead
Yes, I've seen this before on my female Bloodred after she got tangled up in a wire shelf. When she tried to back out she scraped herself against the wire and it left a mark. After she shed it was gone and she was back to her old bloodred self!
Terri

Old 05-05-2008, 10:46 PM   #3
JustineNYC
I was going to ask if shes got a low cut hide in her viv, something she is slithering underneath that is rubbing on that part of her and taking the color off.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:48 PM   #4
ArpeggioAngel
She actually just shed in the last day or two so I would think if this was some kind of "injury" (which it doesn't appear to be in person anyways) that it would've cleared up with the shed some.

This actually looks like the pigment in the scales themselves have changed colors. You can actually see up close some red "tips" on some of the scales that are now white.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:40 PM   #5
bryanc
In the first pic you can really see a decent scale detail, and it definitely looks like the color is washed out here and there. Some parts of the scale are red and the rest pure white.

I think the piebald gene just popped up in your colony. Where did you get her from?

Old 05-06-2008, 06:10 AM   #6
Piper
I'd take some macro photos of the area in question & some good full body photos. Then see how / if it changes over the next few months...or if other areas of her body start to develop the same look.

Pie-Sided 'ness is evident from hatching. The only other cause of white scales developing after hatching (that I know of) is either an injury, or the calico trait. Calico does have a time delay of 2 to 3yrs before starting to manifest. There are some details & photos in Kathy Loves cornsnake book. Check for small blistering or distortion of the scales, and look for more white after she sheds again. (page 179 in Kathy's book from 2005)

Old 05-06-2008, 06:30 AM   #7
KJUN
Looks like the snake got damages trying to squeeze out of a very tight spot. I've seen that in lots of snakes kept in sliding racks with slightly too large gaps. They force out just so far, and can't get any further. If it doesn't develop over more area, bet on it being damage from something or other. It doesn't really look like "calico," which is good because that is deadly.
KJ

Old 05-06-2008, 10:57 AM   #8
VinnyJ
I have a bloodred with the same type of scale markings. It doesn't appear to be damaged scales. All my enclosure setups are the same but this is the only corn that has these types of markings. Here's some pics.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:52 AM   #9
ArpeggioAngel
Thanks for all the replies.
Vinny - that closeup is exactly what it looks like on Veyne.
She does live in a sterlite tub with lid with a plastic waterbowl/hide that she fits under without "squeezing".

It was suggested to me on another site that someone had another corn with the plastic bowl that had the same thing happen and when a crock was used for water instead that it stopped and reverted back to normal colors.

I don't quite understand though how plastic, or fitting underneath a plastic bowl would cause color change? It isn't damage...I would think if it was damage that the scales would "feel" different or actually look damaged - not just a different color? Can someone explain to me how/why the pigment actually appears to change?

Old 05-11-2008, 02:07 AM   #10
ascottlaw
I have a 10 month old bloodred that is starting to show similar loss of pigment in some scales. I think Piper is correct in that the most likely cause for the loss of pigment is Calico. During the next shed, look blisters that resemble water blisters and see if any new areas of white form under them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google