CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Blue for the First Time

Old 07-11-2008, 04:15 PM   #1
sarcare
Question Blue for the First Time

After reading about the snake who can't swollow and hearing about partial sheds I've become very nervous about my snake's first shed. And, when I pulled her out for her first full tank cleaning since I got her she appears to be in blue! My room mate said I ought not to have gone through with the cleaning, but I figured she was already out of the tank and I might as well go through with it.

Anyway, I misted the sterelite container she was in while I cleaned, but this appeared to freak her out and she musked/peed or whatever. Now that the tank is all clean and she is back in it and in her hide, I'm wondering what I can do to make this shed go more smoothly.

Here is what I'm doing already:
Misting the viv
Keeping a fresh water bowl filled
I plan on not holding her or pestering her until Tuesday when she is due for a feeding.

What else can I do to ensure a good shed? I don't want her to end up stressed or with bits stuck on!

Also, I would like to know about how long the snake stays blue before the shed and how long the shed lasts and if there are any transitional post shed issues.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:59 PM   #2
Rich in KY
Another thing you can do is put a moist paper towel in the container with her. It sounds like you have done a lot to help. Now just wait. She will probably be fine.

The amount of time in blue varies. She will also go "clear" again before she actually sheds. It will look like she has shed but has not. This is normal. It is usually 2-3 after they go clear that they shed.

Good luck and I hope to see lots of pics once she sheds.

One last thing, many snakes will not eat while in blue. Do not be disturbed if this happens. Again, normal.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:32 AM   #3
fidds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in KY View Post
Another thing you can do is put a moist paper towel in the container with her. It sounds like you have done a lot to help. Now just wait. She will probably be fine.

The amount of time in blue varies. She will also go "clear" again before she actually sheds. It will look like she has shed but has not. This is normal. It is usually 2-3 after they go clear that they shed.Good luck and I hope to see lots of pics once she sheds.

One last thing, many snakes will not eat while in blue. Do not be disturbed if this happens. Again, normal.

That is good advice as when mine first shed, once the blues stage was over i was looking every where for the shed!!!!

lol

I just couldn't work out what had happened to it

Old 07-13-2008, 12:06 PM   #4
Ruderacer
No worries you are doing all the right things. We live in so cal where it is less humid during the summer, so after our's go blue I add a clump of moist sphagnum moss to the vivs. They semm to enjoy crawling around on and in it.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:09 PM   #5
sarcare
So today I came home and found a full shed had taken place while I was at work. I'm letting her stay in her hide, but I found what looks like an entire shed in one peice.

My question now is if I need to wait after shedding to handle her? I'd really wanted to feed her tomorrow, but if it will stress her...

Old 07-14-2008, 09:17 PM   #6
Wis_fishing_guy
After a fresh shed they are extra sensitive.I dont handle my snakes for a couple of days other than to move for a feeding.So go head and feed her she will be fine.You are doing great.Keep up the good work and keep asking questions:-)

Old 07-14-2008, 10:21 PM   #7
dakota11
I was going to do a post but say yours hope you don't mind adding to yours. One of mine is in the blue and due to be fed I hope it goes as smoothly as yours did. So from blue to shed was about 4 days? I hope that happens here as I am hesitant to attempt feed her plus she is very grumpy. She also had feeding issues prior to me getting her. How long should I wait to feed? last feed was july 10?

Old 07-15-2008, 07:10 AM   #8
bitsy
If she's had problems with feeding before and is extra jumpy going into a shed, I'd wait until after she sheds before offering food - just to save on the stress really. You don't want to trigger the eating problem again.

As long as she's otherwise healthy, she should be fine to wait a few extra days.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:53 AM   #9
sarcare
Well I should have checked back again, but last night I came out and she was out and about in her viv, which I almost never see, so I grabbed her. She was fine being held, but I can see what you say about being sensitive. I'll just grab her to feed her tonight. Her colors are very vivid now!

Old 07-15-2008, 09:00 AM   #10
claireree
I have three corn snakes 2 31/2 year old and 1 year old the weird thing is that they are all in the blue at the same time, mine all just get left to it but I do spray there viv every day and so far they seem to have shed complete. Imust admit they all look great afte they have shed.

Another question though how often do they shed one of mine seems to be shedding about every 4-5 weeks is this normal.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google