• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Euthanization -- A New Method

wade

Save The Humans
This subject comes up from time to time. I posted a new method in a thread earlier this week. Since this method is not well known I thought maybe further explanation was in order.

There is a great deal of controversy on this subject. I have tried many methods myself. Some more successful than others. I think you need to keep in mind that the main objective is that the mouse should die quickly with as little discomfort as possible. This needs to include the discomfort of stress and fear during the time leading up to death. Many people fail to take that into consideration. I believe that as much as possible the mouse should be completely unaware of its imminent death. It’s for this reason I use a 12-gauge shotgun. I personally feel that 1 ¼ oz of #5 shot is best. This gives you a tight enough pattern to do the job and the individual pellets have enough mass to do substantial damage. For this demonstration I have chosen a Browning Citori Over and Under. The brand and model are not important to the process, use what ever you have at hand.

Shotgun.jpg

I think humanity demands that certain courtesies be extended to the mouse. A last meal, a cigarette, and a blindfold would be the minimum. Perhaps a few words with his family and the clergy might be in order. We must never allow ourselves to become hardened to the process. The mouse needs to be kept in mind every step of the way. This particular mouse was very health conscious and declined the cigarette.

MouseBefore.jpg

This method is quick, efficient, and painless. As you can see, the mouse feels no distress.

MouseAfter.jpg

Last edited:
Well, call me old school, but I think I'll stick with the trebuchet aimed at the garage door method....

Attachments

• Trebuchet 1.jpg
    Trebuchet 1.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 1,219
ROFL! That's funny! Unfortunately, I can't see Wade's photos? His snark, however, is always delightful! ;D

Last edited:
Hey Wade, my hubby is part of a gun forum and would like to post your work over there...would that be a problem for you? He just wants to share your concern for well being of feeder mice :)

You know what is really funny? Some PETA Nutter is going to visit this site, think your serious and have a kinipshin!!

Nice pics Wade,

Wayne

I want to thank you for posting this Wade. As you said the humane treatment of the mouse is of the utmost importance, and from the spray pattern it's clear the little guy didn't feel a thing.

You are truly a worthy humanitarian.

Hey Wade, my hubby is part of a gun forum and would like to post your work over there...would that be a problem for you? He just wants to share your concern for well being of feeder mice :)

Sure share my pictures. The world should know. Lori said she couldn't see my pics, are they ok now?

I actually have some questions, though!

Are you using lead shot and if so, what long term effects do you think that will have on your snakes?

After shooting, do you have enough of the mice left over to feed a complete meal or are you rebuilding the feeders, from body parts of multiple mice and hoping you have enough?

Are you sure all of the shot is passing completely through the animal?

Is your back stop adequate?

How often do you have to replace the box?

Are you sure you are going to have an ample supply of shot gun rounds to sufficiently euthanize all your rodents, long term? (National Ammunition Shortage because of fears that the Obama Administration is going to take our guns away!)

Thanks for your time,

Wayne

LOL That's great. Thanks for making me giggle, Wade :)

Are you using lead shot and if so, what long term effects do you think that will have on your snakes?

After shooting, do you have enough of the mice left over to feed a complete meal or are you rebuilding the feeders, from body parts of multiple mice and hoping you have enough?

Are you sure you are going to have an ample supply of shot gun rounds to sufficiently euthanize all your rodents, long term? (National Ammunition Shortage because of fears that the Obama Administration is going to take our guns away!)

Thanks for your time,

Wayne

Lmao

Last edited:

Thanks for your time,

Wayne

More questions that I have to ask!

Are you properly licensed to shoot the species of animal you are "??Hunting??"

Oh and is there a bag limit?

I actually wasn't aware of a "Speedy Gonzalez" hunting season!

Wayne

I nominate this for "The Best Post OF THE YEAR!"
Wade thanks for this post it is truely one of the best and well thought out ones I have seen in some time. All so thanks for picking a male mouse it adds alot to the picture. LMAO!!!
P.S. I would give you some points but it seems I have to spread some around first.

That sounds like lead shot you are using, and high lead titers in the blood of reptiles has been shown to reduce fecundity. This is irresponsible, wade. You should only be using steel, bismuth, Hevi-Shot, or other nontoxic shot to euthanize mice that might get utilized later as snake food.

Actually you all have assumed that this method was to procure snake sustenance. That is something I have not stated. At this point my goal was only to get the mouse dead.

So to help stave off any problems I will add an addendum. If the remains of the mouse are to be consumed by any living animal I would recommend that you use frozen filtered water pellets in lieu of any other projectile. Further, I would recommend that the plastic wad be replaced by recycled paper wads.

Always wear Hearing and Eye protection when firing any type of firearm.

Back