CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Small black spots

Old 05-15-2009, 07:19 PM   #1
theMeanGreen
Small black spots

I noticed many months back 1 or 2 black spots on my snake. I didn't think anything of it, but now, i see that there are small little black spots across the length of his body. I ran my finger over them and they seem to be pieces of dead skin that havn't detached, yet black. They are on individual scales. Also he hasnt eaten in over a month. He is a normal corn, over a year old. Anyone know what this is?

Old 05-15-2009, 08:31 PM   #2
redneck
Sound's like it has mites?

Old 05-16-2009, 06:56 PM   #3
Remmy
It will be mites or ticks.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:30 PM   #4
coxy1130
Mites by the sounds of it do as search for de-miting stuff. If you only have the one snake then your problems will be minimal but if not then according to what I have read I would move the infected one into a separate room for quarentine. But like I said search there are many people who have had this problem so doing a search for the subject will most likely yeid the best results.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
RobbiesCornField
It sounds like mites. Are they on the scales themselves, or in between the scales? Have you noticed any of these black specks in the water bowl? Has your snake been soaking a lot lately?
If you answered yes to any of the three questions above, do a search for the Nix solution (I think PJ@PJCReptiles posted it a while back). It worked wonders when I had a mite infestation.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:55 AM   #6
Remmy
Here is some info i read on a snake web site, hope it helps. Perhaps if you try it and it works you can let us know for future reference:
Mites and Ticks
Snakes are often afflicted by parasites, especially ticks and mites. Mites are very tiny creatures that are usually found on and under a snake’s scales, on the rims of the eyes, or around the vent. They come out of their hiding places at night and suck the blood of their host, which can cause a snake to become anemic. Mites are also thought to be disease transmitters. They can be difficult to spot, but their silvery droppings give them away, normally appearing on the snake and in other places. Mites multiply very quickly and can do significant damage to your snake’s health if left untreated.

If your corn snake has mites, place him in a covered container with shallow water for three or four hours. While he is soaking, thoroughly clean and disinfect his terrarium and everything in it. Remove the snake from the water and dry him before returning him to his terrarium.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google