• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

looks.like.breathing.prolems

jenny63

i.am.worried.about.my.11.1/2year.old.female.green.blotch.albino.corn.snake.she.cruises.around.her.tank.normal.since.she.has.done.from.hatchling.and.the.she.will.
come.to.the.front.of.her.tank.and.stretch.the.front.part.of.her.body.out.and.open.her.mouth.she.will.then.just.sit.there.for.hours.on.end.without.moving.
she.is.in.the.tank.with.two.other.corn.snakes.which.she.has.lived.with.one.from.a.hatchling.and.the.other.for.the.past.6.years.neither.of.the.other.2.show.the.same.thing.i.am.seeing.her.i.can.hear.no.signs.of.dificulty.breathing.just.looks.like.she.is.i.have.read.other.posts.and.can.find.nothing.simular:(
please.help:confused:

Let me make this legible.

I am worried about my 11 1/2 year old female green blotch albino corn snake she cruises around her tank normally like she has done from the time she was a hatchling, and then she will come to the front of her tank and stretch the front part of her body out and open her mouth. She will then just sit there for hours on end without moving.

She is in the tank with two other corn snakes which she has lived with one from the time she was a hatchling and the other for the past 6 years. Neither of the other 2 show the same thing. I am seeing here. I can hear no signs of difficulty breathing, it just looks like she is. I have read other posts and can find nothing similar.

Please help

a) if the snake in question has some sort of illness, the others will probably get it. If possible, they should be kept separately from now on.
b) Respiratory infections usually are accompanied by a wheezing or bubbling noise. If that is the case, a vet is often needed. Y9ou can try to isolate the animal, keeping it dark and raise the temp to @ 90 for a week, looking for more normal behavior after that time.
c) Check to see that the temps are correct at this time, and that the animal has enough clean water and is well fed.
d) Is it possible that there is something stuck in its mouth/throat? Bedding chunks that are too large or undigestable can cause problems. Recommended bedding: Newspaper, aspen, or pine.

Has this helped at all?

thanx 4 that have warmed up tank will separate her have no wheezing or bubbling noises sorry about................................keyboard not working right have had to copy and paste spaces lol

I know how that goes,my kitty spilled pepsi on my keyboard once. You can do a find and replace with notepad of need be, that's what I did for awhile. :)

Breathing problems

Breathing problems in snakes are almost always pneumonia in my experience. Snakes only have one good lung and it doesn't take much to impede their breathing. I recently had one of my boas come down with pneumonia. He has had it before and both times his first symptom was not wanting to eat.

I have treated him successfully before with oral antibiotics and by raising the temps in his tank to 90-100 on a gradient. he seems to be responding really well this time around as well.

It is important to find a good herp vet that is experienced and can give you a medication that has been mixed in a concentration for your snake. It is also important that people that have pets be willing to spend the money required for them to get treatment that they need when they're sick.

Good luck with your snake. Since you housed your snake with a couple of other ones, your vet will probably suggest that you separate them and treat all three of them with antibiotics

Back