CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

shed again

Old 08-05-2009, 08:59 PM   #1
chad27
Question shed again

hello all this is nothing to worry about just wanted to see if anyone has ever seen a snake shed twice within a month My adult amel shed almost 4 weeks ago and i noticed she was in blue yesterday. this will be twice in 4 weeks

Old 08-06-2009, 02:06 AM   #2
marike
Hi,

if a snake sheds more frequently than before, this might be a sign either for an injury or exogenous parasites (e.g. mites).
In case of an injury the snake increases shedding to outgrow the damaged skin. in case of parasites the snakes tries to get rid of them.

Take a close look at the snake slough as soon as she's done. It doesn't have to be parasites, maybe she just slightly scratched a scale somewhere.

Hope that helps.
Greetings,
marike

Old 08-06-2009, 12:01 PM   #3
glenhead
Our big amel shed twice in a month a couple of times. Both times it was after a few bigger-than-usual meals. Sometimes they have a bit of a growth spurt, or so it seems.

That said, marike is right - check the shed skin and look for anything out of the ordinary. If everything looks copacetic, just chalk it up to one of those weird things.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:18 AM   #4
COerriccaRN
A GREAT test for parasites such as mites is to wet a plain white paper towel and let your snake crawl completely through it. If you see small black dots, those are parasites!

Old 08-07-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
BobbyHill
I've found that my adult is going through a spring-time growth spurt and shedding a bit more than often. Assuming there are no external parasites or injuries, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:48 PM   #6
Susielea
Quote:
Originally Posted by COerriccaRN View Post
A GREAT test for parasites such as mites is to wet a plain white paper towel and let your snake crawl completely through it. If you see small black dots, those are parasites!
Small black dots can also be dirt particles, but if they move or turn the damp paper towel red when you squish them with your nail, then they are probably mites

Old 08-08-2009, 01:43 AM   #7
COerriccaRN
Yes, i forgot to put "if they move." Thanks for clearing that up

Old 08-08-2009, 08:58 AM   #8
chad27
Well it is not mites. No black spots Moved her feeding up some to start putting some weight on for up coming brumation. I think this may be the reason.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google