CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Shedding frequently...

Old 08-21-2009, 10:52 PM   #1
Hypancistrus
Shedding frequently...

You all may remember Skully the snow corn who escaped from a cage in Kilmarnock and was found basking on the sidewalk outside over a year later, doubled in size and sporting some nice rodent bites.

She has been doing really well since being reintroduced to the captive lifestyle. She shed about two weeks after we caught her, and then again around the first of July. She shed on July 8th.

This evening when we were feeding, she had ANOTHER fresh shed in her tub. We have treated her for mites since catching her (we treated most of our snakes when mites ran through the collection a few months back) and she does not appear to have mites at this time... so why is she shedding so often?

This is her record on iHerp: http://www.iherp.com/Public/Animals/...AnimalID=22152

Any thoughts?

Old 08-21-2009, 11:06 PM   #2
Lennycorn
Since you took care of the mites.
Good feeding and healing for from bites come to mind.
This sounds normal to me Lauren.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:35 PM   #3
glenhead
Oh, yeah, a snake with a skin injury will shed with amazing frequency. Back in college we had a bull snake that got tagged by a mouse (this was way before the days of F/T), and he shed every two weeks for about four months, until the wound was completely healed. He was missing a couple of scales, but other than that the area looked normal when he was through.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:53 PM   #4
ceduke
I agree with the previous posters. I took in a badly bitten (by rats) BCI and he shed every 2-3 weeks for months until those bites were healed.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:59 PM   #5
Hypancistrus
Okay, that is kind of what we figured, but we wanted to check and make sure. She is eating like a damn horse, that is for sure. I was afraid to take the shed out for fear she'd bite the crap out of my hand!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google