CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Did she eat?

Old 10-16-2009, 11:07 PM   #1
Stars
Did she eat?

Okay so it's her first feed since she got here tuesday... My corn is 35grams so I put a fuzzy on a sandwich container lid in her viv, I didn't feed her in a feeding container because she's a yearling who wasn't ever handled before she arrived here so I didn't want to stress her more by moving her. Anyways 5 mins after I put it there I checked and it was in her mouth, and I left for 10 minutes (I was sure there wouldn't be impaction because she was on the relatively large lid when i saw her take it). So when I went back 10 minutes later the fuzzy wasn't there and I'm not sure if she took it. There might have been a slight lump visible but it was 1/3rd down her body already? It's hard for me to judge since it is my first corn. So basically the question is, how long would it take to go 1/3rd down her ~2ft body?

The fuzzy was only slightly thicker than her max width, very slightly, so not a large meal by any means. I haven't gone searching for it yet because if she did swallow it, I don't want to stress her if I don't have to. She wasn't that far from where I fed her when I checked.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:10 PM   #2
RobbiesCornField
Well, considering the stomach is about halfway down the body, a third of the way wouldn't take that long at all.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:19 PM   #3
ZoologyGirl
My question is...where else could the fuzzy have went if she didn't eat it??

But yea, it doesn't take long for the mouse to reach the stomach once the snake starts to swallow it.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:25 PM   #4
Stars
Okay thanks. Well I did a basic check for it, didn't find it so she must have took it. Would you guys say that if the prey was only 1.2x the width of the snake it would take a semi-trained eye to see the lump?

Old 10-16-2009, 11:35 PM   #5
RobbiesCornField
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars View Post
Okay thanks. Well I did a basic check for it, didn't find it so she must have took it. Would you guys say that if the prey was only 1.2x the width of the snake it would take a semi-trained eye to see the lump?
You might have to look for it a little harder than usual, but you might still be able to find it.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:53 AM   #6
Nanci
If she didn't eat it, you'll know soon enough...

Old 10-17-2009, 12:06 PM   #7
Stars
Is stomach wiggling/shaking a sign of good digestion or bad digestion? Or maybe she was just scared. I quickly checked on her a few hours after feeding and she was doing that, haha. And yeah I'm convinced she ate it now. Oh and it wasn't the wiggling they do to get it down to their stomach, it was more of a tremble.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:33 PM   #8
RobbiesCornField
It's a sign you need to leave her alone. If you stress her out too much by checking on her every hour or two, she might regurge. Just leave her a lone and let her do what she does best.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:36 PM   #9
Stars
Yeah good call

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google