• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Pet store mice okay?

MomInCalifornia

I'm a teacher and have a 1 year old cornsnake in my classroom. I purchased her at a very reputable vivarium that's an hour away. When I went to pick her up I bought 3 months worth of frozen pinkies as well and i'm down to my last few.

We have lots of pet stores 5-10 minutes from us and I'd much rather go to one of them to get more feeders than an hour away.

I know not to buy snakes from PetSmart, Pet Co etc, but is it okay to buy the frozen feeders from them?

Thanks!

I have 3 snakes and have, on many occasions, bought and fed Arctic Mice from Petsmart without any issues. I actually had a hatchling that preferred the Arctic Mice over the pinkies I bought from RodentPro. ;}

I'm a teacher and have a 1 year old cornsnake in my classroom. I purchased her at a very reputable vivarium that's an hour away. When I went to pick her up I bought 3 months worth of frozen pinkies as well and i'm down to my last few.

We have lots of pet stores 5-10 minutes from us and I'd much rather go to one of them to get more feeders than an hour away.

I know not to buy snakes from PetSmart, Pet Co etc, but is it okay to buy the frozen feeders from them?

Thanks!

It's fine but it's freaking expensive! :nope: Although if you're only feeding one snake, I guess it might not hurt too much. You may want to search for local "mom n pop" shops that may carry rodents for less outrageous prices. :)

I would just seek out local shows its so much cheaper. Also a pinky is way too small a meal for a yearling- most should be on fuzzies or hoppers by then to grow properly- I imgine she's still small due to her diet so get some fuzzies and then move up to hoppers:)

How is >$2 a week very pricey? She only has one snake to feed :)

That doesn't change that fact that paying $1-2 a pink is plain ridiculous. I bought 100 pinks/peach fuzzies for $35 - and some would that's too expensive. They simply aren't worth $1-2 a pop. (And since we're a capitalist society, I the consumer get to determine their worth. :D )

And honestly, I can't help but feel a little bit outraged at the fact that these places produce these animals for so little and then deliberately ring you dry over them. Sorry, I won't be a part of that. :nope:

How is >$2 a week very pricey? She only has one snake to feed :)

Compared to the 15-50 cents I can find them for, very pricey.

Even ordering bulk online, even with having to pay shipping charges, I can get a better price than the petstores. The only problem with that is you have to buy so many at a time...and sometimes I just don't have a good chunk of cash lying around.

Thank you everyone! I appreciate the advice and will look into purchasing larger mice for her. I don't mind paying a bit more if it saves me from having to drive an hour there and an hour back! Even if it's a dollar a mouse, that's only $4.00 a month. I'm glad to hear the pet store mice are an option but will look for a local store as well.

Back