CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Finicky Black Milk

Old 11-11-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
Brewster320
Finicky Black Milk

My black milk that I bought at the New England reptile expo still has no eaten for me or ever. i bought it as a 2week old non feeder who still hasn't gone through its 1st shed. Just so you know I did buy it at a lower price then the fones already eating and the breeder gave me a receit and e-mail so if it doesn't eat by Thanksgiving I can trade it in. However I'm afraid he won't take it back because of the fact that the snake manged to partly escape from his 1st enclosure but got a scare on his neck in the process. It has healed up a lot but I don't know if it will ever be the same.

Now I have tried a lot of tricks; live, frozen, brained, both rat and mice pinks, lizard skink, chicken broth, left a lone over night in a small container, and moved him to a smaller enclosure. Only tricks i haven't tried yet is offering actual lizards, tuna juice, or force feeding. Are there any other tricks anyone has or suggestions. Anything would be helpful.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:42 PM   #2
Nanci
When did he hatch? How long have you had him? How often are you trying?

I think I would let him go five days before the next attempt. I would then remove his water 24 hours before feeding. (Replace it after your feeding attempt). I'd take a mouse pink, warm it up to really hot, as hot as your tap water will go, then cut it into thirds, then put it in the deli cup with the snake, cover him up, and leave him completely alone, in a dark place, for two hours, then recheck. If he hasn't eaten, I'd make him a new pink, cut in thirds, and put him in his deli cup in his viv overnight. Sometimes kings like teeny tiny meals, compared to what you think he should be able to eat.

Another thing you can try, later, is cooked chicken fat scenting, or raw chicken juice scenting. Are you giving him a break in between attempts of three or four days? And not handling at all? Another thing you could try is the Car Ride. Pack him up in his deli cup, take him for a ride in the car, bring him home, see if he eats. Some people have had luck with this, with non-feeders starting to feed after going to a show, being shipped, going to someone else's home.

Have you tried washed? Wash the pink in Ivory or Dawn dish soap and rinse. I think I would stick to offering pink halves or thirds from now on, no matter what you scent them with, though.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:48 PM   #3
classdwhite
scenting with tuna juice has always worked for me with non feeders. what are the temps in the cage? Curious, did you get your milk from nate godin?

Old 11-11-2009, 08:01 PM   #4
Brewster320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
When did he hatch? How long have you had him? How often are you trying?

I think I would let him go five days before the next attempt. I would then remove his water 24 hours before feeding. (Replace it after your feeding attempt). I'd take a mouse pink, warm it up to really hot, as hot as your tap water will go, then cut it into thirds, then put it in the deli cup with the snake, cover him up, and leave him completely alone, in a dark place, for two hours, then recheck. If he hasn't eaten, I'd make him a new pink, cut in thirds, and put him in his deli cup in his viv overnight. Sometimes kings like teeny tiny meals, compared to what you think he should be able to eat.

Another thing you can try, later, is cooked chicken fat scenting, or raw chicken juice scenting. Are you giving him a break in between attempts of three or four days? And not handling at all? Another thing you could try is the Car Ride. Pack him up in his deli cup, take him for a ride in the car, bring him home, see if he eats. Some people have had luck with this, with non-feeders starting to feed after going to a show, being shipped, going to someone else's home.

Have you tried washed? Wash the pink in Ivory or Dawn dish soap and rinse. I think I would stick to offering pink halves or thirds from now on, no matter what you scent them with, though.
He hatched a week and 6 days before the expo so I jus have to figure out what date the expo was on becaue I forgot. I've been trying about twice a week usually with 3 days inbetween. A normal pink is pretty small compared to this guy, they hatch out a lot larger then corns and other similar snakes do. He's also gone through his 2nd shed so hopefully that will help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classdwhite View Post
scenting with tuna juice has always worked for me with non feeders. what are the temps in the cage? Curious, did you get your milk from nate godin?
Yes I actually did get the snake from Nate. The temps are between 70-75 degrees depending on the change in room temp.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:09 PM   #5
Brewster320
Good news! One of my female rats gave birth a few hours ago and I decided to try to offer one of them to my BMS. Well theres a fat lump in his belly now and I have a little peace of mind!

Old 11-19-2009, 09:36 PM   #6
Nanci
Excellent news!!

Old 11-19-2009, 10:12 PM   #7
wstphal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster320 View Post
Good news! One of my female rats gave birth a few hours ago and I decided to try to offer one of them to my BMS. Well theres a fat lump in his belly now and I have a little peace of mind!
Maybe he just doesn't like mice? Anyway, this is great news. Hopefully from here on out he will take rat pinks without any fuss or muss.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google