CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Is she ready for adults?

Old 12-11-2009, 05:30 PM   #1
Haya Tha'baan
Is she ready for adults?

I've been following the feeding chart that I got from this forum. Haya ways about 164 grams and I went to the pet store and picked up a 18 gram adult mouse. Lately I've been feeding her 3 large fuzzies but she doesn't seem to want to eat all of them, so I thought I'd try a single one...and was also wondering if she's ready for adults.

The adult just seems so large, but I was wondering if it was because I've been feeding her small prey. The weight requirements are accurate, but judge for yourself I guess! I don't want to make her explode!

Old 12-11-2009, 05:31 PM   #2
Haya Tha'baan

Thought I added this picture already.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:51 PM   #3
bitsy
You might be able to get an idea by eye. Does the mouse look like it's one and a half times the width of the snake's body? That's another useful guideline.

When you say "adult", is it a small adult? Usually once they can take two fuzzies at a time, then they're ready for a small adult mouse. But really only you'll be able to tell. Corns grow at different rates - some get long and skinny first before filling out.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:11 PM   #4
Haya Tha'baan
I've been feeding her 3 of these fuzzy mice but she's been snubbing one or two so I thought on big one would do better. I just don't want it too be too big. Her belly seems wide enough to handle it.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:13 PM   #5
desertanimal
Looks ok to me.

I also like to use the digestion-time rule of thumb. If there's still a lump after 48 hours, it was too big.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:15 PM   #6
danielle
You could try weanlings first if your nervous or even hoppers since hoppers usually follow fuzzies, but she does seem heavy enough for a small adult. If your going to feed the adult slit it super well to help digestion

Old 12-11-2009, 10:16 PM   #7
Haya Tha'baan

Forgot the picture again...anyway, I'm just worried about it hurting her is all.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:29 PM   #8
Haya Tha'baan
The problem is, hopper and weanlings aren't available where I am and online they sell them by the 50s. That's why I've been feeding those 3 large fuzzies to compensate. Acording to the chart I got from here, she's ready for this small adult. I just wanted extra opinions because her head looks so little compared to that behemoth!

Old 12-11-2009, 10:30 PM   #9
Haya Tha'baan
p.s. how do I (grooosss) slice it open?

Old 12-11-2009, 10:32 PM   #10
Nanci
I think it looks okay. Do you have a whole bunch, or do you get to pick through them? (Then I'd pick the very smallest). She's very close to ready, anyway. If you do feed it, I'd slit the sides and back of the mouse until she gets up to about 180 or so.

Danielle, I think her store doesn't sell hoppers or weanlings.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google