CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Hatching Seizure?

Old 01-23-2010, 04:08 AM   #1
pridecity
Hatching Seizure?

Well, I just got back from the Western Stock Show here in Denver. Was very fun and I spent all my reptile money for the Expo tomorrow on Boulder opals.

I got back home at about 11pm and went to get my laptop to download the photos I took. I happened to glance over at the hatchling tank and saw my blizzard hatchling jumping around the tank, completely spazzing out. I opened the tank and grabbed the snake. It immediately contorted like Emily Rose. After a few minutes, its body relaxed, but the snake looked like it was dead. I flipped it upside-down and saw that its heart was still pumping. Its body started to turn a dark color, much like eternal bleeding. Of course, I suspected that the snake would pass at this time. After about ten minutes, the hatchling started slowly moving round again, in very exaggerated movements.

It has happened twice as of 1:49am. I think there was a period of about twenty minutes between both seizures. I didn't time it, so don't quote me. Now, after the second seizure, there are red lines throughout its body. I would say it's septicemia based on what I've seen in fish.

I've never noticed it in this hatchling before. It was purchased at Scales'N'Tails and was a little wimpy, but overall looked healthy. It has always eaten well, but has had a few bad sheds (including when I purchased it).

Anyone know what this could be? I was guessing on stargazing perhaps? I don't know much about it except that it's neurological. Any suggestions? I'm hoping that I won't have to put the snake down, but if I do, what is the best method?

I have the snake in a 2.5 gallon tank at the moment for qt. It is now laying in a very Emily Rose position. I will have to attach a picture in the morning.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:12 AM   #2
bitsy
I'm guessing there's no sort of visible physical injury - could it have been exposed to some form of toxin? If it was the seizing alone then I'd suggest checking temps were't too high, but red lines does sound like septicemia. As he's a new arrival, he could've been accidentally dropped or fallen and suffered internal injuries before you bought him.

In the meantime, keep him in full quarantine well away from any other reptiles in the house, just to be sure. Honestly doesn't sound good for the little scrap - keep us posted and good luck.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
Teddy Roosevelt
No, stargazing, while undesireable to breed into lines, mostly just makes CORN SNAKES (not boids and such) forget which way is up when they're excited. Some of them live pretty normal lives otherwise. This sounds a bit more serious and you've done right to quarantine him.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
Shiari
The red lines definitely sound like septicemia. I had a young corn develop an abscess after his stomach ruptured (he apparently had some sort of deformity with his stomach and when finally fed an appropriate sized meal...) and he began to get those red lines too. Once I saw the red lines forming, I took him to the vet and we euthanised him and discovered the abscess upon necropsy.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:31 PM   #5
pridecity
I'd had the blizzard for over a month, I think closer to two months. It died throughout the night.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:34 PM   #6
Teddy Roosevelt
I'm sorry for your loss. If it makes you feel any better, in all likelihood it was a neurological issue neither you nor the breeder could've known about prior or fixed.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:57 PM   #7
pridecity
At the expo on Saturday, one breeder said it could have been because I have all my hatchlings together. They're currently in a 10 gallon and there were 24 snakes in it. I had them in a 30 gallon before but they didn't use the heat lamp at all so I moved them over to a heat pad,which they love.

I was waiting for the expo to look at rack systems, but they didn't have any. So, here in the next month, I'm going to be building one instead.

Do you think the expo breeder is right in saying it was most likely stress due to them being together?

Old 01-25-2010, 05:02 PM   #8
wstphal
I hate to say this, but cohabbing can cause all kinds of stress, and so could lower your little one's resistance to an infection. And 24 hatchlings in a 10G sounds like a lot to me. I would try to get them separated ~quickly~ even if it's into deli cups that are then put back in the 10G or 30G.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:09 PM   #9
wade
Co habitation is not a good idea but many people especially breeders do cohab hatchlings. It is not usually a problem except when feeding you should separate them into their own containers.

I think your snake experienced some kind of a stroke or aneurysm. What ever it was it is regrettable but I think probably not predictable or preventable.

I hope you have better luck with the rest of your snakes. If they must be housed together, give them lots of hides and things to climb on so they can get away from one another when they want to.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google